Thread: Bearing Buddies??????

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have several trailers with these on them. Some never ever leak a drop of grease. Others shoot grease all over the place.....:yuk:
    Are these things junk? Or am I doing something wrong?????HELP

spectras only
    They shouldn't throw grease all over if the rear slinger is in good shape .Some people overfill them that could cause blow grease all over from the backplate.

Moneypitt
    What is a rear slinger?? And where would it be in a bearing buddy?........MP

spectras only
    The rear seal in the hub usually comes loose [in a similar fashion as the bowl seal in jets] or wears out prematurely . I machine a slinger out of teflon to very close specs for the shaft and press it in place of the seal .It will last forever and won't blow out if you overfill a tad. The grease will do the job keeping water out

Moneypitt
    Okay, so you replace the wheel hub seal with a solid piece that you make out of teflon. I understand, except that would still be a seal, not a slinger, and has nothing to do with a bearing buddy. My experience with axle seals and bearing buddies has been quite successful, after initial bearing packing, and just enough additional grease to cause the spring loaded "loader" to move outward, a couple of strokes with marine wheel bearing grease after each use will keep the bearings and seals in great shape for years. When you over grease, you push grease out the seal which makes a mess on the inside of your wheels. Just check to see that the disc under the spring has some tension on it and you're good to go. This doesn't mean to ignore a yearly bearing inspection as a part of trailer maintance............MP

spectras only
    MP, you're right it's not a slinger, however this is the way I used my trailers with buddy bearings in the past without any problem. I stop pumping at the slightest resistance on the pump lever , besides the observation of movement of the springloaded disc

DansBlown73Nordic
    The grease is always on the outside of the tire. I always fill them till the plunger stops. Maybe im filling them to full....

Jordy
    If you're filling them until the plunger stops you are indeed over filling them.