Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with a Taylor

shootingstar72683
    Just purchased a 1979 18'Taylor SJD 455OLDS INDMAR, BERKLEY12J. I'm going to have alot of questions. Hope to get educated. Had 2 jets ,a1970 16'Tahiti455, 1976 21'Hawiian460Ford both Harding Marine. Both had I believe 12JC PUMPS WITH INSPECTION covers inside. This one has the inspection cover outside ,with a shield over the pump. Can I put a place deverter on it, how much$$? What,s better elec. or manuel? How much does this hull weigh, less engine. I want to paint it. Can I man-handle it? What is the best way to paint the bottom. How do I prep it ,what kind of paint do I use? What should I look for before I paint the bottom. It's not gouged or real deep scatches, but the paint and primer is worn away down to the brown glass. Is it a bad idea to remove the foam under the deck? The other 2 jets didn't have it. It's nice to have the storage, or shelter sometimes. Thanks ,hope ya'll can bare with me.

IMPATIENT 1
    PROUD TAYLOR OWNER HERE AS WELL! THERE ARE SEVERAL TAYLOR OWNERS HERE ON ***boat. I OWN A 78 TAYLOR SJ WITH BBF. IF YOU CHECK THE TAG ON TOP OF THE PUMP INSIDE THE BOAT IT'LL TELL YA THE MODEL NUMBER. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A 12JE LIKE MINE. I'VE DONE ALOT TO THE 12JE AND MY TAYLOR RUNS 85MPH CONSISTENTLY.LET ME KNOW I CAN HELP WITH THE INFO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR TAYLOR HAULIN ASS!!

shootingstar72683
    PROUD TAYLOR OWNER HERE AS WELL! THERE ARE SEVERAL TAYLOR OWNERS HERE ON ***boat. I OWN A 78 TAYLOR SJ WITH BBF. IF YOU CHECK THE TAG ON TOP OF THE PUMP INSIDE THE BOAT IT'LL TELL YA THE MODEL NUMBER. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A 12JE LIKE MINE. I'VE DONE ALOT TO THE 12JE AND MY TAYLOR RUNS 85MPH CONSISTENTLY.LET ME KNOW I CAN HELP WITH THE INFO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR TAYLOR HAULIN ASS!!
    Great! Good to meet ya. Do any of these # make sence? BM#6578 Ser#7818676

Taylorman
    Can I put a place deverter on it, how much$$? .
    Yes, about $700. Get the hydraulic place diverter for a JE pump, it will fit under the pump cover.
    How much does this hull weigh, less engine.
    700-900 lbs. You will not be able to man handle it. You will need a hoist on one end of the boat.
    What is the best way to paint the bottom. How do I prep it ,what kind of paint do I use? What should I look for before I paint the bottom. It's not gouged or real deep scatches, but the paint and primer is worn away down to the brown glass.
    Imron is a good paint, im not sure about the bottom though.
    Is it a bad idea to remove the foam under the deck? The other 2 jets didn't have it. It's nice to have the storage, or shelter sometimes.
    Personal choice. It will provide flotation in case you take on water. Your choice.

IMPATIENT 1
    Great! Good to meet ya. Do any of these # make sence? BM#6578 Ser#7818676
    NOT TO ME. THERE SHOULD BE A 12JC OR 12JE ON THE TAG. I USED SINGLE STAGE URETHANE ON MY BOTTOM.SINGLE STAGE URETHANE SEEMS TO ADHERE BETTER TO ME. IF YA HAVE A TAYLOR SJ THEN YOU NEED A DIVERTOR!IT'S WORTH THE DOUGH!!!!!!!!I DID PULL OUT ALL THE FOAM IN MY TAYLOR(IT WAS WATER,OIL SOAKED AND WIEGHED A TON).MY FLOOR,BOW ARE BOTH HOLLOW.I REINFORCED THE BOW AND INSTALLED ADDITION STRINGER LENGTH UNDER THE FLOOR.THIS HELPED THE BOAT LOOSE ABOUT 200LBS OF DEAD WEIGHT.LET US KNOW THE PUMP AND WILL GET YA STARTED GOIN BROKE!

shootingstar72683
    Yes, about $700. Get the hydraulic place diverter for a JE pump, it will fit under the pump cover.
    700-900 lbs. You will not be able to man handle it. You will need a hoist on one end of the boat.
    So I pick-up one end,shoot the paint, then the other end?
    Imron is a good paint, im not sure about the bottom though.
    Sand it real smooth, prime it, then shoot how many coats of Imron? Do I use clear coat too?
    Personal choice. It will provide flotation in case you take on water. Your choice. So it doesn't have anything to do with stengthning the deck? Is it good to let people walk across the deck?

IMPATIENT 1
    So it doesn't have anything to do with stengthning the deck? Is it good to let people walk across the deck?
    DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT THE BOAT TO DO.AFTER MY KIDS GOT OLD ENOUGH TO HANG ON GOOD,I FIGURE IT WAS TIME TO TURN MY LAKE BOAT INTO A SLEEPER.DO YOU WANT IT SAFE OR FAST?LIGHTER IS FASTER!

IMPATIENT 1
    Oh Yeah, The Foam Supports The Deck, But A Little Glass Work Will Too!

shootingstar72683
    NOT TO ME. THERE SHOULD BE A 12JC OR 12JE ON THE TAG. I USED SINGLE STAGE URETHANE ON MY BOTTOM.SINGLE STAGE URETHANE SEEMS TO ADHERE BETTER TO ME. IF YA HAVE A TAYLOR SJ THEN YOU NEED A DIVERTOR!IT'S WORTH THE DOUGH!!!!!!!!I DID PULL OUT ALL THE FOAM IN MY TAYLOR(IT WAS WATER,OIL SOAKED AND WIEGHED A TON).MY FLOOR,BOW ARE BOTH HOLLOW.I REINFORCED THE BOW AND INSTALLED ADDITION STRINGER LENGTH UNDER THE FLOOR.THIS HELPED THE BOAT LOOSE ABOUT 200LBS OF DEAD WEIGHT.LET US KNOW THE PUMP AND WILL GET YA STARTED GOIN BROKE!
    It's a 12JE. Did you paint the top deck with the same Urathane? Does this boat have a second hull? How do I get under the floor?

IMPATIENT 1
    It's a 12JE. Did you paint the top deck with the same Urathane? Does this boat have a second hull? How do I get under the floor?
    I PAINTED THE TOP WITH BASE COAT,CLEAR COAT. IF THE FLOOR IS ROTTEN IT'LL HAVE TO BE CUT OUT AND REBUILT.THE FLOOR IS JUST A PIECE OF PLYBOARD THAT HAS BEEN GLASSED OVER.EASY TO DO,EVEN FOR BEGINNER.I'LL GIVE YOU A LIST OF MY PUMP UPGRADES AND WHAT THEY DONE FOR MY SJ.
    PLACE DIVERTER BRAND -THIS GAVE ME TRIM ADJUSTMENT AND ALOT BETTER RIDE! GAVE ME @6-8MPH MORE TOP END.OH AND THE ROOSTERTAIL IS SWEET!!!!!
    HI TECH SHOE AND RIDE PLATE KIT- A MUST ON A TAYLOR WITH A 12JE,THIS IS THE MOD I NOTICED THE MOST. IT MADE MY SJ PLANE OUT IN HALF THE TIME AS BEFORE,I NOW CAN GO THREW BIG WAKES WITHOUT A THOUGHT.THIS GAVE ME @ ANOTHER 8MPH ON TOP END AND AT 80MPH IT MADE MY SJ RIDE "ON GLASS OR RAILS".
    HARDINE MARINE SS LOADER- I WAS HAVING CAVITATION PROBS AT 70MPH AND THE LOADER FED THE PUMP BETTER AND SOLVED THAT PROBLEM.GAVE ME @3-4MPH I THINK.NOT ALOT OF NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE,BUT MY PUMP IS STAYIN LOADED WITH H2O NOW!
    I SPENT @1100.00 ON THE UPGRADES FOR A TOTAL OF @ 20MPH MORE TOP END.THE 12JE PUMP JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH WATER UNTILL YA DO THE MODS.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast