Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkins - Who's done it?

LASERRAY
    I have been in the "Induction" phase for a week and have lost ten pounds, lost some waist size, and am starting to feel alot better Physically. I'm 6' 3" tall and was 278 lbs. ( I carry it well). According to government guidelines I should weigh no more then 192 lbs. Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.
    It's an easy diet to do ( as far as diets go ) and I find that i'm enjoying it, as it's not a typical lo-fat, rice cake, celery stick eating nightmare. My appetite is diminishing and I have a clear head.
    I started reading the book the day I started the Atkins and only have a few chapters left.
    Who else has tried Atkins? And how'd you do?

DryHeatOnly
    I did it about 3 years ago for about 4 months. Lost about 15 pounds (give or take a pound). I put it all back on, plus 5 more, within 6-7 months.
    I did the second go-round last year. Started in January '03 and stuck with it to the holidays. Went from 230 to 205 but realistically hovered around 210 for the latter part of the year. I slowly got away from the diet since then. Yes, I'm putting the weight back on. I'm at 220 right now. Over the weekend, I decided to go back on it again. It's gonna be a modified-Atkins though (it's still boating season and I do like Coors Light!!!).
    Today for breakfast...Denver omlette w/cheese & salsa
    Lunch...2 piece at El Pollo Loco (beans and corn...not the best thing to do for induction).
    I'm 6' 2 1/2" and 220lbs. Let's see how it goes.
    Good Luck Ray.

Kilrtoy
    My co-worker did it for his wedding and lost 30 pounds, he stopped and gained it all back and 10 ADDITIONAL POUNDS.
    it is one of those thing you have to follow for life......
    It can also be dangerous....

mirvin
    The trick with atkins is to go through all the phases and come out with a new "way of life" instead of a diet.
    For me, I've been doing it for over 2 years now and my typical diet consists of meat, dairy, fruit, veggies, and whatever bread products I can find that are not made with bleached flowers.
    You should end up with a very balanced diet. The main thing is to learn how to avoid processed starches and sugar.
    mirvin

DryHeatOnly
    Kilrtoy is absolutely right. You have to do it for life. I was in the later phases from April-December. It wasn't bad. It was easy for me to stay away from the sugars which is something every adult should do anyway. The breads were more difficult for me. Again, white flour, is not something we need.
    Life-time Atkins is not 'all fat and no carbs'. It's a balance.
    Trader Joe's has a couple of lo-carb breads which are pretty good. Once you get past the first 2 phases and you want a sandwich, those breads make it no harm, no foul. Also, the Atkins baking mixes (corn bread, blueberry muffins) are really good! I should have eaten more of that. Trader Joes also has a good selection of lo-carb chocolate bars.
    To be honest, I did well last year. I thought I could get away for a bit, then get back on it. The problem is is that I got away too far!
    Ray - do you like Fatburger? Try a Double King w/cheese and all the condiments you like....w/no bun! Awesome. UmmmHmmm.

MagicMtnDan
    Diets are all alike in that if you don't change the way you were eating when you got fat you'll get fat again when you stop dieting (that's why they call them diets).
    If you do well on Atkins then you don't need to "do it for life" but you will need to watch your carb intake closely for the rest of your life. As your physical activity goes up or down you'll have to modify your diet accordingly.
    I've done Atkins a few times and it's great for me because if I look at carbs I gain weight. You need to get it started right (induction phase) and then stay with it while you exercise (again, like all diets). I started Atkins again in mid-February and have lost 35 lbs. and they're staying off but I'm playing tennis 4 times a week (anyone else play?).
    Done right Atkins is a good diet and done wrong it's not good for you. Read the book first so you know what it's all about.

LASERRAY
    I'd go as far as to say that the book is a must! I had alot of misconceptions about atkins UNTIL I read the book. It explains all of the "hows and whats" that you need to know to really understand the approach. I was going to jump-into the book at the Induction" chapter but decided to start at the beginning. A wise move I might add.
    As far as keeping a low carb approach even after reaching my goal weight, I'm all for that. Sugar is unnecessary and I can live without-it.

Kilrtoy
    I have never done atkins, But does an Aimee or Autumn count....

dicudmore
    Originally posted by Kilrtoy
    I have never done atkins, But does an Aimee or Autumn count....
    lmao

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by Kilrtoy
    I have never done atkins, But does an Aimee or Autumn count.... 66 minutes. It took exactly 66 minutes for the first attempt at comedy. You guys are slowing down!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast