Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breather question

HP350SC
    I'm wondering what some of you are running for a breather setup. Got oil out dipstick tube on last poker run and tired of the mess. I looked at the tall bolt on breathers that Teague sells but they don't fit stock HP500 valve covers. I would like to keep the v/covers if possible.

RACER52
    having the same problem and have been to lazy and cheap to fix.
    I think I'm gonna put in 2 pcv valves and vent to the throttle bodies on mine and put the tall breathers or leave what I have and run to a puke tank.
    its a mess after any long hard run.
    good luck.
    Racer

HP350SC
    I don't really have the room for a puke tank on transom. I'm also trying to get away from venting block gases back into intake because it robs power.

fourspeednup
    Originally posted by HP350SC
    I don't really have the room for a puke tank on transom. I'm also trying to get away from venting block gases back into intake because it robs power. I don't think enough would make it into the motor to cause a prob unless you plumbed it straight to manifold vacuum or something.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by RACER52
    I think I'm gonna put in 2 pcv valves and vent to the throttle bodies on mine and put the tall breathers...
    I just did this last weekend. Works great (PCV hoses are tapped into the tall breathers). No more stink (or oil) all over the place.

HP350SC
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    I don't think enough would make it into the motor to cause a prob unless you plumbed it straight to manifold vacuum or something.
    I don't know, on my old boat with the spark arrestor removed and at idle, swinging the breather hose over the carb. inlet dropped idle quite a bit. This is "dirty" air and dilutes the mixture I would think. Then you factor in how much flow there is at max. rpm/boost and to me it makes sense to keep it out of the intake charge. I could be F.O.S. though

GEOO
    I agree oil in the combustion, IC etc is not a good thing. I ran mine like that one year. Last winter I welded tubes on my valve covers and put baffled air cleaners on them. No more mess. However, I only run at high rpm's (5-7k) for for a minute or so, no long hard run's. The other way, which I'm sure local authorities wouldn't like, is to pipe it to your exhaust and it will create a negitive crankcase pressure.

HP350SC
    Well, not going to screw with it any more Ordered up some polished v/c from Teague with 4" tall breathers

gmocnik
    it doesn't take much blowby at high rpm to push the dipstick out the tube....
    put a spring on it to hold it in....
    the four inch breathers then will do the trick...

DogHouse
    I run this:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ad_004-med.jpg
    No more problems with oily mess on the valve covers...
    -brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast