Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-board charger

phebus
    I am getting tired of hooking up a charger at the end of each day, and would like to add an on board charger that all I have to do is plug the boat in at the end of the day. Any reccomendations on what unit to get?
    Also, what would be the best way to wire it in to charge all batteries at once. I would think if I wired it to the "all" terminal on the Perko switch, and the other lead to ground it would do it.
    This would be to charge either 3 or 4 Optima 12v's.
    Thanks

gramps
    this "place" has the hot setup...............I know several peeps that use their systems, I do also, they work GREAT
    www.dualpro.com

Dr. Eagle
    This is the one I had on my Eliminator:
    Dual Channel (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...oductId=123658)
    This is the one (wrong picture, but right price) I have on the Ultra:
    Single Channel (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...544&storeNum=9)

ACCEPTENCE
    I'm confused here.
    I'm guessing it's not a charging problem.
    Is this a running the stereo all day thing?
    Whats the deal with having to charge the batteries, precaution, maintenance, what gives?

phebus
    With a big stereo system, the alternator cannot keep up with the demands placed on the system. Charging at night not only brings the batteries to a full state of charge, but also allows a full service life. Storing batteries in a discharged state shortens battery life.

Magic34
    I used the 3 bank 30 amp Minnkota charger. Fully waterproof and fully automatic.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by phebus
    Storing batteries in a discharged state shortens battery life.
    That is why I always plug mine into the charger... regardless of charge state.
    The charger maintainer will keep it charged without overcharging and gassing the batteries

phebus
    What is the advantage of going with a multi bank charger, rather than hooking up to the "all" terminal and charging as one bank? I don't understand all the specifics.

gramps
    how many batteries are you running? if you get a chance look at the way a bass boat is set up. usally there are 3 or 4 batteries. one for the motor and 2 or 3 for the trolling motor. The dual pro system is basically a "computerized switch" that once your main battery is charged it will send the current to the other batteries. They also have "on board" chargers that you just run a power cord to and plug in, I have both systems on my boat and have run 10+ days on Powell and haven't had to plug into an outside power source.

gramps
    What is the advantage of going with a multi bank charger, rather than hooking up to the "all" terminal and charging as one bank? I don't understand all the specifics.
    the multi bank system only charges what batteries that need charging also you can keep it pluged in when the boat is on the trailer and it keeps all the batteries in prome condition. whenever my boat is not in the water i'ts plugged in so I never have to worry about the batteries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast