Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What not to do to your garage.

wsuwrhr
    Don't install insulation to your roll up door with hopes it will cut down noise to the outside.
    What a waste. Sometimes I have dumb ideas. What about insulation for a tile roof, or should I expect the same results as the door?
    I am making sure the neighbors decide not to complain about the air compressor noise. It isn't THAT loud, but I would rather not draw anymore attention to what is REALLY inside. Something about two CNC machines humming away could get some interest.
    Or should I even worry about it?
    Brian

Dr. Eagle
    I insulated the crap out of my garage door with batts of something called "monofil" as I recall. I had it on there for a long time... but it was heavy and looked like crap. But it allowed me to use my garage as a recording studio for several years...
    The foam insulation that they sell for doors is pretty useless...

Danhercules
    They sell roll up doors that have insulation in them. I dont see why putting your own would not do the same.

Dr. Eagle
    I think the insulated doors are less for sound than for thermal insulation.
    The insuation is 1" (maybe 3/4") foam, and nothing insulates at the joints.

repo man
    try using DYNA MAT like they use in high power car audio.

XtrmWakeborder
    Originally posted by repo man
    try using DYNA MAT like they use in high power car audio.
    I'll second this

Dr. Eagle
    Then get a couple of 15" subs and a couple thousand watts out there... you know.. just to test the door...

JetBoatRich
    I just replaced all three of my doors with roll-ups, double walls and insulation between the walls. Works great

Tom Brown
    As well as the subs, get a glitter globe. It won't help with the test but it will pimp the joint out.

superdave013
    I don't blame you for trying to keep world piece with everyone that lives in your world.
    If the compressor is the big noise soruce you could make an enclouser just for it. Put a 6" fan (Granger) on it to move some air across the compressor heads. Insulate it with what ever. It will quite it down alot.
    That way you can enjoy it too.
    BTW, I got rid of my oiless compressor only because it was so focken loud! The old clunker I replaced it with is not to bad. But it wouldn't run 2 CNC's either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast