Thread: Stud Girdles - Who makes a good one?

RandyH
    Need some help. I am looking for a good brand of Stud Girdle that will allow you to install it after the valves are lashed and locked. I just stripped a thread on one of mine and I am tired of pissing with them. My current pair are CAT brand I think and althrough they look pretty tough, they are a bitch to install. Also when checking valve lash they are tough to even get loosened up.
    I have the extended Polylocks. Its a big block Chevy with Eldlebrock RPM heads. I checked with them and they didnt offer a matched set on these heads.
    What ever brand, they need to fit under my IMCO valve covers.
    http://www.ats-inc.net/ultrajet/ultr...aagain/540.JPG
    Any suggestions and or photos. What are you guys running? Thanks very much.
    RandyH

Floored
    always used a Jomar stud girdle myself. they cleared a tall BBC valve cover.

Fiat48
    Stud girdles tweak the rocker studs therefore you cannot set the valve and then put the girdle on. You girdle it tight to where you can barely turn the adjuster and then adjust the valve. Then do a final tightening and check the valve adjustment does not move. Sorry..comes with the territory.
    I prefer the Crane spring bar.

LakesOnly
    Lose the CAT aluminum stuff (rockers, etc.).
    LO

Originally posted by Fiat48
    Stud girdles tweak the rocker studs therefore you cannot set the valve and then put the girdle on. You girdle it tight to where you can barely turn the adjuster and then adjust the valve. Then do a final tightening and check the valve adjustment does not move. Sorry..comes with the territory.
    I prefer the Crane spring bar.
    Yeah what he said.
    I personally have Jomar but I like the looks of the Cranes. Forget not readjusting after bolting girdle on, ain't gonna happen.

GofastRacer
    If you guys are talking about the Jomar girdles with the U-Bolts, they are the worst POS there ever was made, I throw them in the trash!. I use Webster's they are the shit, adjust the valves, slide them up with one hand as far as they will go and tighten them up from the center out done deal, lash don't change!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Girdle-med.jpg

RandyH
    OK, Thanks for the ideas. I got the impression from my Cat Girdles that it might tweek the studs some but they fit so tight that I could never really tell.
    RandyH

C.Fisher
    Its a hell of a lot more expensive but you can not beat shaft rockers for stability.

RandyH
    Originally posted by C.Fisher
    Its a hell of a lot more expensive but you can not beat shaft rockers for stability.
    I heard that!!! Boy that next motor is going to be expensive . The list is long.
    RandyH

Delta Jets
    Jesel rockershaft system is the only way to fly stable valve train nascar & prostock engines are proof. Most blown engines are caused by valve train failure BBC start out with a screwed up geoemetry