Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boater Sentenced in Fatal Accident

Boatcop
    Jeffery Hewlett, who ran over and killed a PWCer on July 4th weekend, 2003 was sentenced in La Paz County Superior Court today, July 26th, 2004.
    Hewlett plead "No Contest" to a single charge of Negligent Homicide last month. He was originally charged with 16 counts including Manslaughter, Endangerment, Child Endangerment, OUI and fleeing the scene of a fatal accident.
    Hewlett was sentenced to 1 year in the County Jail, and 4 years probation.

hboldno7
    Boatcop, was that the guy they caught with his boat on the trailer on the way home?

Brady Bunch
    I do not remember this case, but driving a boat drunk, killing someone and fleeing the scene, 1 year in jail? WTF!!!!!

Lightning
    That's what I am saying, 1 yr for all that. wtf??

JetBoatRich
    On top of everything, only a year
    WTF:yuk:

hd&boatrider
    Not anywhere near what should have been done to this guy.

summerlove
    Originally posted by Brady Bunch
    I do not remember this case, but driving a boat drunk, killing someone and fleeing the scene, 1 year in jail? WTF!!!!!
    Alan, while this does not make it right, didn't he flee to get his kids out of there so they didn't have to go through any more trauma - seeing their dad hauled off to jail? Didn't he immediately return to the scene after he dropped them off? While I don't condone his actions, I do understand his intentions. Or is this incorrect? Thanks...

mbrown2
    This was the accident that happened up near the dam by Winnetou north of Moonridge...from what I remember he fled the scene in his Lavey and was found later in his trailer right in the same area by Winnetou...he had a place there...Don't quote me but I remember the story being that he did not render aid...it was a someone else that jumped in and helped the Jet Skier (maybe someone JRocket or someone else on the board knows)...pretty bad scene...guy was running pretty fast back and forth all day and that 4th, it was packed near the dam...we were on the docks when all of the police came rolling up near the dam....Folks that heard the sound of the collision knew it did not sound good...like drive coming out of the water and RPM's spinning pretty high after the sound of a Fiberglass to fiberglass collision at pretty good speed...The person that lost his life was a friend of person in Moonridge II and his family was staying across the street of a good friend of mine....It was terrible 4th for that family...
    May he rest in peace..

Boatcop
    Didn't he immediately return to the scene after he dropped them off?
    I wouldn't call 90 minutes "immediately". Especially when his dock was next to where the accident happened.
    I'm not going to comment on this much more. It seems that someone here is feeding everything I write to the defense attorney, in an attempt to connect my words here with my official duties, and threatening lawsuit against me and/or my Department.
    Something about my contributing here on my own time as a private person, and my right to free expression and speech that they don't seem to understand.

jackpunx
    BC..
    thanks for the info.. Im always a big fan of your posts.. I hope it works out well for you.. I would hate for the education you give us on the boards to stop.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast