Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Boat Doesnt Handle Right

sifocalpoint
    Here in PA v-drives are rare and its hard to find good help. We just finished restoring my dads Howard Flatbottom and it handles like shit
    Howard flat, dyers blown 468, adjustable plate 11.5x16 prop
    16 od gears in the box (i know these are low but we love the holeshot)
    The boat FISHTAILS and its too hard to handle at high speeds, the boats rear end moves back and forth and its an uncomfortable feeling so we havent even had the boat over 65-70 yet. I changed props and it made no difference, will the cavitation plate effect this?? Could adjusting it help?? Whats the best way to adjust the plate? All turnbuckles equal??
    HELPPPPPPPP MEEEE:eek!:

Don't take this the wrong way, This is coming from experience.
    When I got my first flat the steering quadrant was not installed properly, It was loose & the key was the wrong size. Caused what you are describing.
    I would start with the simple stuff. Check the rudder & steering. Maybe even take a look at the turn fin.
    Good luck
    Morg.

dmontzsta
    repo man had this same problem with his boat, he said it was scary to drive around 60mph. He swapped props and said it made a HUGE difference, he is now back in control, of course Morg has a good point as well.

sifocalpoint
    ill give it a shot, and check it out but if you hear of anything else give me a holler
    Thanks

coolchange
    I think more info is in order. You just restored it. What did you change. Did you have the strut off? Plates off? Fin Off? Wheres the water breakin? Plates to low and its tryin to drive around itself? Steering is a good place to start. Change one thing at a time.

Spotondl
    Just some things to check...
    Steering system, quadrant, pull/pull cable pulley system (hope it's not a push/pull type cable, kinda weak), rudder, key?
    Driveshaft, is it straight?
    Strut, is it secure to the bottom of the hull, strut bearings good with no play?
    Prop, is it fully seated on the taper or is it riding on the keyway?
    Plates even and secure? Start with some down for safety...
    I'm sure there are many more that more knowledgable likes here may suggest... These are just my .02's worth for now...
    Good luck...

Spotondl
    More info definitely in order.... straight up....

DansBlown73Nordic
    Like I said on the phone steering would be my first thought. Just a little play in back will make a huge difference up front.

superdave013
    My Hondo did that too. Mainly when I let off the gas.
    First off the steering quardrint needed replaced as the key way had slop in it. (Be sure to put a safty collar on top of the quadrent so the key can't come out even if the pinch bolt comes loose.)
    But what I think could have caused that was the rudder stuffing box (deal that goes through the hull) was worn. The rudder had slop in it. So I replaced that and it still has slop in it! Took a closer look at the rudder and the shaft was just worn out in that area. Replaced that and all was well.

Bob Hostetter
    Does it slip/wiggle side to side or rock from side to side? Is it a flat or a runnerbottom? Do you have a override pedal or just adjustable struts?
    If there is any slop in the steering system from the wheel to the rudder they will kind of wiggle around on the tail. If it rocks back and forth from chime to chime that is a whole different problem......What happens when you input correction with the steering wheel?
    Check you steering first, make sure everything is snug, make sure then is not any slop in the rudder, check and make sure your plate's are equal/balanced on both side's, and check your strut and make sure it is straight and the bushings are not worn out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast