Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 78 Glastron CVX-20

quig
    Hot2boat... I think you misunderstood my post ... what I was asking was, when ,I get this motor together I am estimating 425-460 hp if I have to turn it 5400 rpm will that be too much for the A ?... however I am not even sure the motor will turn 5400 right now as it is still in parts & I have no previous experiences with a ford engine & the boat has not been in the water for 5 years so I was looking for some educated guesses as to what I will get & how hard the engine will turn & if the A is still the right choice??
    p.s. expensive story Tinker http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I think I am walking in those shoes right now http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif quig. I

Quig...
    Loose impeller story..My boat was another one of those "lake ready" boats that has ultimately needed everything replaced and re-engineered. I had miserable flat performance when I got the boat. Lots of RPM and little speed. Upon rebuilding the jet pump, the wear ring was long gone and a rock had wedged itself in the bowl and machined a huge groove in the impeller (as if on a lathe). One more run would have cut in half like slices of bologna and trashed everything. Ha. I can laugh now. Wasn't funny then.

Hydro-Thunder
    Quiq As you know I have a 76 CVX 20' 460 with aprox 425-450HP I put in an "A" ipmeller and wear ring from Aggressor ( I'm not cheerleading here thats just who I chose)and it keeps my RPM at about 5100-5200 RPM.
    Jesse

quig
    Thanks Jesse... if all of my calculations are correct then I should be right in that range too... providing the pump is not a piece of crap!!. Does the Ford motor handle that type of rpm willingly?? & I'm not be sarcastic here I really have no experience with how much or how hard the Ford can be turned.Does the stock balancer work up to those rpm's at a sustained rate or should I look aftermarket??.Does the Ford motor need oil restrictors up top how is the oiling in gereral?? I have just ordered the Canton jet boat oilpan approx. $800.00 cdn http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif but I don't want to take any chances . anybody have any input???
    quig

79CVX20
    Can anyone tell me what to do to get a performance cam to work? Push rods, springs, keepers (locks), rockers, guide plates, studs? I bought some roller rockers which are extruded from 6061 T6 Aluminum. From what I have found so far I still need about $500-$600 worth of the above parts to make any larger than .500" lift work. I am planning on CompCams Extreme Marine 278 or 280. Then a couple of hundred more for valve covers. I have read that the keepers and springs are extremely important to keep from dropping a valve. They also cost more than I paid for the engine.
    I have a 1979 CVX 20 with a 1970 Lincoln 460 with D0VE-C heads (10.5-1) and "A" impeller in the 12JE pump that I am rebuilding.
    I am looking for a diverter.
    I will get a "straight up timing set". Does it need the bearing and lock plate set that I have seen advertised?
    What about oil pressure drop over 3700 rpm? The pan is front sump with the Ford factory baffle. This was with the old 1979 block and heads. Bearings look good so far. I did read oil pressure with a mechanical gauge off of the rear oil pressure port. I wonder if the remote oil filter (new filter) could cause this problem.
    Does anyone make a chrome valve cover that fits over the roller rockers?
    Thanks for any ideas you have.
    Ed

Blown 472
    Can anyone tell me what to do to get a performance cam to work? Push rods, springs, keepers (locks), rockers, guide plates, studs? I bought some roller rockers which are extruded from 6061 T6 Aluminum. From what I have found so far I still need about $500-$600 worth of the above parts to make any larger than .500" lift work. I am planning on CompCams Extreme Marine 278 or 280. Then a couple of hundred more for valve covers. I have read that the keepers and springs are extremely important to keep from dropping a valve. They also cost more than I paid for the engine.
    I have a 1979 CVX 20 with a 1970 Lincoln 460 with D0VE-C heads (10.5-1) and "A" impeller in the 12JE pump that I am rebuilding.
    I am looking for a diverter.
    I will get a "straight up timing set". Does it need the bearing and lock plate set that I have seen advertised?
    What about oil pressure drop over 3700 rpm? The pan is front sump with the Ford factory baffle. This was with the old 1979 block and heads. Bearings look good so far. I did read oil pressure with a mechanical gauge off of the rear oil pressure port. I wonder if the remote oil filter (new filter) could cause this problem.
    Does anyone make a chrome valve cover that fits over the roller rockers?
    Thanks for any ideas you have.
    Ed
    Why wont the rockers work? Do you heads have the rocker studs with the stops on them? if so replace those. Clay smith makes nice rocker studs, if the stock rockers have a rail on them that goes over the valve stem then you will need guide plates, depending on the rocker you choose you may need to cut the pedistal for the rocker stud down the thickness of the guide plate.
    The oil issue, buy some smith bros restricted push rods so you dont pump the valve covers full. I have crower rockers under mickey thomson valve covers.
    If you are putting a cam in then you will need the right springs, so yeah buy retainers and keepers at the same time.
    And if you are going to do anything with your pump call Jack at MPD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234