Thread: oil clearance BBC 454

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    What should the crank mic' out after being turned(.010 on the rods)? What should the rods mic' out after being resized? I think I have a problem! I just had my rods micd and they are on the "low" side. When I mic'd my crank I got 2.189 and that looks funny to me. i looked up the specs and I got 2.1999/2.2000 for the rod journals. If thats true then my crank isnt .010 under like the machine shop said it was WTF?? I think I need to choke the hell out of the people that turned my crank!!!!! With my rod bearings installe I got 2.193 from a dialbore guage. Then that would make my clearance .004 Something just aint right!!!!!!!!

Infomaniac
    Use the same mic you used to measure the crank to set the dial bore gauge to zero and then measure it.
    Torque the bearings in the block and rods when you do this.
    This is how I do it. You basically throw away the actual measurement of the crank and just measure the actual clearance. Adjust it with bearing sets.

GofastRacer
    Yep, actual clearance is what matters!..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Use the same mic you used to measure the crank to set the dial bore gauge to zero and then measure it.
    Torque the bearings in the block and rods when you do this.
    This is how I do it. You basically throw away the actual measurement of the crank and just measure the actual clearance. Adjust it with bearing sets.
    So mic the crank, then use the same measurement to set the dial bore guage(Right). Then Mic the journal with the bearings and that is the clearance. So you are actuall measuring the actual oil clearance? that makes sense to me know
    Thx,396

Infomaniac
    i mic the crank with the outside mic. Lay it on the bench and set the dial bore gauge to zero in it. Then measure the bearings that are torqued in the hole.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    aww i gotcha