Thread: losing prime

kgeeeee
    Thank you for your input. As far as my losing prime. I thought I had the answer by putting two check valves, one in front of each tank, so when I shut the engine off the check valves would hold the fuel in the lines instead of letting it back into the tanks. I ran the boat last Sat. Thursday I went into the garage and turned on the ignition and guess what no prime. Where did the prime go???
    The check valves should have kept the fuel in the lines, right? I have a return line coming off one of the regulators but that only returns under pressure. One person wrote that he had to put another vent for his fuel that the caps were not enough. I have vents in the caps and two vents up by the driver seat and passenger seat(outside hull). Anybody have a good answer? To put the pump below the tanks I would have to pull the motor. There must be an answer the way I have the pump now.

pleasantcat
    im not second guessing you but, check your fuel lines going to the tank. if they suck air boom no prime. and sorry but little thing i learned being a plumber.... s*it runs DOWN hill. so your fuel pumps needs to be below the center of your fuel tanks minimum. the lower the better. plus, all fuel lines and connections need to be 100%. no leaks at all. good luck and keep us posted..

Hotcrusader76
    pleasantcat:
    im not second guessing you but, check your fuel lines going to the tank. if they suck air boom no prime. and sorry but little thing i learned being a plumber.... s*it runs DOWN hill. so your fuel pumps needs to be below the center of your fuel tanks minimum. the lower the better. plus, all fuel lines and connections need to be 100%. no leaks at all. good luck and keep us posted..I concurr with that one. If your loosing prime, it sounds like you might have a simple leak located somewhere around a fitting.
    Do you smell any fuel vapor? If so it is most likely a hose or fitting.
    Otherwise check your ground on the fuel pump, ensure it is located close to the tank, mounted low. Electric pumps like to push fuel, not pull it, leave that up to the mechanical versions.
    This might sound like a dumb question...but...where is that fuel regulator located on your boat? Fore or aft of the fuel pump?
    -Ty
    [ September 16, 2002, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

78Eliminator
    Hotcrusader76:
    Electric pumps like to push fuel, not pull it, leave that up to the mechanical versions.
    -TyExactly and also: where is your pump located? If it's above the bottom of your tanks where the fuel lines come out, that's your problem. The fuel pump must be at or below the level of the lines that come off the fuel tanks. BG Fuel systems gave me a 10 minute speach on how everyone does this wrong in the boating community. On a car, it's easy cause you just mount the pumps under the chassis somewhere, on a boat there isn't much real estate since the tanks are usually resting the bottom of the bilge......
    Justin
    [ September 16, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]