Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked up 454.

Backtanner
    Having just brought my boat from storage after 2 1/2 years, I have found that it no longer rotates by hand. I last had my hands on this motor late last year and at that time it did turn even with the plugs in. Now I have pulled the plugs and sprayed liquid penetrant through the plug holes and no luck other than torqueing the hell out of the harmonic balancer bolt. The plugs look fine witrh the exception of #8 which has a fair amount rust on it. I thinking this is all my problem is but if there is anything else I should particular attention to, please let me know. Once I get a battery hooked up I will let the starter do the work for me.

Nucking futs
    If you cant turn it by hand off of the dampner the starter wont turn it either.I would pull the heads off and see what the damage is on the cyl. walls if it had water in it.just my .02 cents

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I think the starter will break it loose no problem. pull the distributor and prime the biatch first with a drill. then crank away. the big block starters put out a hell of a lot more torque than a ratchet on the front of the crank. I would squirt some motor oil down thru the spark plug holes also. the stuff out of the rattle can tends to wear off fast.
    Omega

Nucking futs
    Yeah,let the starter do the work and then burn it up and have to buy a new one.Thats what i would do.Put a long ratchet and a cheater bar and work it back and forth to break it loose. I dont think those starters have more tourque than my 3 foot cheater bar but thars just me i may be wrong!

Mr Twister
    RUST on the plug! That sucks, but if you dont visually inspect the cylinder you are asking for trouble. If the engine won't turn by hand something is wrong, and no, the rings wont scrape off the rust and survive.

Fiat48
    Brings a whole new meaning to "If ya can't crank it, yank it! "

78Eliminator
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Brings a whole new meaning to "If ya can't crank it, yank it! "
    Bob, we are talking about a motor here, not our personal lives....

Backtanner
    Very well the heads come off today or Sun. Man I sure hope this doesn't hurt!!

victorfb
    most likely if you have rust on the plug and the motor wont turn over easily, you may also have rust on the rings, and valves. cranking it over may loosen up the piston, but the rings will most likely be stuck and scoring the crap out of the cylinder. id say take the time and pull the heads. clean the valves, and make sure the rings move freely. you should be able to move the piston from side to side and all around and the rings should stay expanded against the cylinder wall. and if it has been stuck and rusted for that length of time id bet the cylinder walls are pitted. run that motor and by a new one shortly after if thats the case. not good news i know, but atleast you caught it in time.

LakesOnly
    Backtanner there is a much easier way to unlock your stuck motor:
    Have your boat towed behind another boat. When you reach about 15mph, throw the control into "forward." Works every time.
    LO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast