Thread: Switch

baja204
    Engine starts fine and goes into gear ok but at any given time when i increase throttle the engine kills. I was told that on the transon assembly there is a interupt switch going bad are needs adjusting. Is their a way to trouble shoot this. I found the switch and the two wires. Can anybody tell me whats it for and can i bypass it till the new one comes in.

phebus
    The interrupt switch momentarily kills the motor when you shift in to gear. If you are going into gear without it dying, and then it dies when you accelerate, I'm not sure it is your problem.

baja204
    I'm not sure what it is. May do it just a couple of times all day. Thanks for the imput and I guess i'll keep trying till I get a answer.
    Rebel Yell

baja204
    Post Copy
    If it is the shift interupt switch, and you bypass it, it will be very difficult to shift OUT of gear. That switch is there to ground out the coil for a split second to take the pressure off the clutch dog & gear so it come out of gear. If you have an efi, it is closed until activated. Anyway, the switch is activated by the friction of the lower shift cable. If the lower shift cable ( the one that goes to the outdrive) is corroded or does not operate freely, it will drag that switch too long & kill the motor. Other factors are bad adjustment, the shift shaft bushing in the gimbal bellhousing vs. shift shaft stiff/ difficult to move or simply the switch is sticking too long. You can check the switch by activating it by hand, engine running & in neutral. Bump the switch by hand & it should not kill the engine, just make it stumble for a second.
    Hope this helps
    Speedwake Member