Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prop Coupler Question

The bolts replace the weight of the material of the holes they occupy with a little extra. Still no where near the weight of the missing material left by the slot. The keyway being solid metal does not effect the balance as if it were air. It is weight just as it would be if there were no key. Remember the balance is of the entire assembly not just the coupler. The 1/16 offset actually is what make them run perfectly smooth without vibration (not accounting for prop). Out of roundness is only a factor when talking tires against the road. It can be out of round but still be balanced.
    Consider the balance of a crankshaft. High spots, low spots. Roll it down the street it would bounce like hell (outer surfaces not circular from centerline). But in an engine is perfectly smooth because it is "weight" balanced.

schiada96
    Don't feel alone in the coupler thing. In my infinate wisdom I found the coupler to be out of "round" also. I thought how could I spend 125.00 on this thing and the hole be out of the middle . I then proceeded to make a precision arbor and turn the od round. What a lot of work when I was wrong!!

V-Drive Tom
    shiada96, I admire your admition about doing that!!
    Maybe we ALL can come up with a GOOD ONE that we have done!
    I will have to try and remember if there is anything embarasing I have done... TOM..
    PS, It won't be hard....just wich one. :boxed:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123