Thread: cam timing

steve paull
    just replaced cam and lifters in my 454 bbc. may have lost the timing while changing the cam. whats the best way to make sure timing is right before i break in the cam @ 2500 rpm for 1/2 hour.

GofastRacer
    Ok I take it you're talking about ignition timing right, no biggie!. With the plugs out, put a finger on the #1 cylinder and turn the motor over until you feel compression then bring it up close to TDC, put the distributor in with the rotor pointing a bit to the right of where it should be and drop it in, odds are it won't go all the way down(to engage oil pump drive) so just crank the motor until it drops, then keep going until the rotor comes back around to #1, stop at your initial timing on the dampner then point the rotor at #1, done deal fire it up and put a light on it you should be right there!....

Snowboat
    That's a pretty neat way to do it Gofast. I've never heard of that. I always fussed with the long screwdriver down to the oil pump drive. Thanks.

GofastRacer
    I didn't think there was any other way of doing it!.LOL...Actually I tried the screw driver deal to lign the drive up once and that was enough of that, I ain't saying what I did with the screw driver!...

Fiat48
    Well, when you do a blown motor, you want to get the timing close as possible so you don't get a backfire. So I will bring the motor to 34 degrees before TDC #1. Then Install the mag (use the screwdriver to align the oil pump shaft with the distributor) so the motor can stay at 34. Then I rotate the mag so that the points are just barely breaking and the rotor pointing at #1 on the cap.
    If the mag is the type that has advance....I will hold the mag all the way advanced and then rotate the base until I see the points just breaking.
    Usually hit it within 2 degrees this way when I varify with a timing light.

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Well, when you do a blown motor, you want to get the timing close as possible so you don't get a backfire. So I will bring the motor to 34 degrees before TDC #1. Then Install the mag (use the screwdriver to align the oil pump shaft with the distributor) so the motor can stay at 34. Then I rotate the mag so that the points are just barely breaking and the rotor pointing at #1 on the cap.
    If the mag is the type that has advance....I will hold the mag all the way advanced and then rotate the base until I see the points just breaking.
    Usually hit it within 2 degrees this way when I varify with a timing light.
    LOL, read it again, I'm doing the exact same thing except I'm not wasting time trying to line up the drive!. I bring it up on compression close to zero, drop it in and turn the motor until it drops, then go around again and stop at 36(that's what I use on mine)and do the same thing, and if I put my fkn glasses on sometimes I hit it right on and I don't need to move it!..

Fiat48
    You're right. My speed reading is off. I reckon I need my glasses.

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    You're right. My speed reading is off. I reckon I need my glasses.