Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical questions for Greg Shoemaker

Unchained
    Thanks for helping us out here Greg, I can see where you need a thick skin and a lot of patience. I was going to call you but I thought this message board would be better as to not bother you during your work day. I have a few tech questions that no one has been able to sufficiently answer for me yet.
    My boat is a 19' Cheyenne tunnel with blown 540 Arias.
    1) Since shimming the shoe down in a jet pump increases the pressure ahead of the impeller is this primarily to gain lift from the overcharge in the intake or is it to force feed the impeller to make it produce more thrust out the nozzle?
    2) When you are building pressure in the pump intake ahead of the impeller is that also causing some parasitic losses to build that much pressure? It seems that there must be some drag with the shoe right in the water stream.
    3) I have noticed with my boat that if I am getting 40lbs of intake pressure at WOT 6000 rpm when I back off the pressure spikes to 60+ lbs. At what point do you get into the danger zone and need one of those pressure release units that mount in the hand hole?
    4) Are there any significant gains to be had by smoothing and filling in voids in the pump intake like where the joint is between the intake and the suction?
    5) What do you think of the cavitation reducers that are out? I installed one and felt that it only made a marginal improvement. I still get cavitation if I mat the throttle below 30 mph.
    Thanks, Mark

miller killer
    im not greg,but he will tell you a place diverter will solve your problem,he must of got stock options from them!

riodog
    Killer, when you see ((((boom)))(((boom))) in reference to someones post it means that we're on the verge of asking for a vote, i.e. asking the people on this forum that "count", to vote on asking Eric (hot boat adm.)if he'll delete your comments from all of these forums. So far, I can't remember that we've ever been turned down. What everyone is trying to tell you is that there's a right way of telling your story and a wrong way. So far you "ain't" got it right!
    Riodog
    M.W.Fulton

miller killer
    I already said i was sorry for calling him a D.H. i was not talking any smack about the place diverter answer.sorry!ive been called a d.h. in this site,is that fair,maybe i just need to grow up?quit acting like a kid?i am a contractor and i cant please everybody either,it is tough.

greg shoemaker
    Miller Killer, Being that your a contractor I know that you live in a perfect world and you always do everything right. Iwould really like to talk to you because I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out what you are talking about??? Greg 909 272 6060

riodog
    Hey HERO, it's about time you showed up to defend yourself. I turn my back for the past month, (I was over on the machinegun forum where there's not a lot of name calling), and by the time I get back you've gone and done it AGAIN! (even though it was TEN YEARS ago). If I gotta keep watchin your six (back), Marsha is going to have to start paying me "greggysitting money"!
    Michael
    P.S. killer miller, a contractor? For a waterfall on my patio, I could probably put in a good word for you and get Mr. Shoemaker to forgive you.

eliminatya
    greg was wondering if you had any info for unchained. I have a 21' daytona at wot i have no intake pressure. aggressor bowl and impeller, aggressor stuff works well contrary to the popular belief on this board. the impeller is an ab, wot is 6100 and speed is 99.5 mph on gps. what do you think ideal intake pressure should be?

greg shoemaker
    You have to have some suction piece pressure at some time in order to run 99 mph. Where are you taking your pressure reading? Uchained called me today and we had a good conversation about the do's and don't and Ibeleive we establihed a game plan to get him on the right track. Basic set up has a lot to do with suction piece pressure,Unchained is running blocked hardware with alot of power andhas a problem maintaining pressure at high speeds. A shoe and intake grate are in order. Greg

Unchained
    Eliminatya, I talked to Greg on the phone and he gave me some great informative answers to my questions and suggestions of things to try. Now I just need some boating weather, Probably late April or May here in Mi. Greg took a half hour explaining the technical details to me and I'm not even a customer.

eliminatya
    greg your right i do have intake pressure it is about 25lbs going down the lake at about 4000 rpm's. but as you stab the throttle pressure drops rapidly. it is hovering around zero. it is kind of hard to determine if it is two or three lbs, my vision is a little impaired at wot. intake is tapped two inches below the packing gland. i've heard that the bowl is probably evacuating the pump. darren whittington(force-fed racing) you gave him some some advice about a southwind tunnel i used to have, that boat never did run fast anways, he use to tell me to keep lowering the shoe until the transom starts to hop then take alittle back out. a lot of info any help would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast