Thread: What Back-up/Spare Prop?

sigepmock
    Ok I just picked up our new 21' Ultra Stealth with a 6.2L/Bravo 1 and it came with a five blade 21P. My question is what prop should I get as my back-up/spare prop?
    My last boat was a jet so I am in need of some prop schooling. Am I correct to think that this five blade 21P should get me out of the hole good and tow skiers well but lack a little on the top end? Should I get a 4 or 3 blade back-up so I can switch between the two....one for towing skiers/wakeboarders and one for cruising higher speeds?
    Any help, advice, opinions, or links to prop 101 would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris "Don't know much about prop selection" Mock
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...95boat-med.JPG

sigepmock
    Anyone??????
    What are the upsides/downsides to 3, 4, or 5 bladed props?

Chris

Essex502
    See reply in "Hot Boats" section.

THOR
    My Dad has that exact boat but with a 350 Mag and he runs a high five 21P too. It works great, but he sometimes runs out of prop. I would honestly get another 5 blade, but use a 22P. That would be great for cruising a tad faster. I see them on ebay all the time. You can save about $200. They retail at $500 for a stock Bravo 5 blade.

sigepmock
    Thanks,
    Chris

MACH26
    Chris,
    4 blade definitely. A 23P Bravo One would be my best quess, if you can't turn the RPM's you can always have it labbed or turned into a 22P. Three blades cavitate real bad and usually are within a mile per hour of a 4 blade. The prop you have should be a bithcen tow/a lot of load prop.
    Javier

sigepmock
    Thanks Javier,
    I'm going to try it out this weekend and see how she runs. Ultra said almost the same thing. 5 blade 21P is great for all around family fun, but I should look at a four blade 22P for a little more top end. I like the idea of 23P and cutting it down if it doesn't work. Any idea how much should I expect to pay for one?
    Thanks,
    Chris "I'm kinda understanding this whole prop thing" Mock

bajaboater502
    New bravo 1 prop about 445 dollars from teague marine just got a new 30 pitch from them and that was the best price I found on a new one and I searched a few places. Getting it labbed or turned down can run between 185 and 350 bucks depending on the shop and the prop.