Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Noise Laws in AZ? WTF???

Essex502
    We were launching at the Havasu Marina on Friday and the gentleman that walked up to the truck window while I was waiting to launch asked me: "Is your boat loud?" I said no...I comply with the 88 dB-A law in CA and should pass AZ too. He said that there was a new noise law in AZ passed on Memorial Day (??) and due to go into effect on September 1st but it was being enforced in the Marina now. HE claimed the law was "86 decibles". Didn't know what the test was or how it was performed. One of our friends was told not to come back to the marina because his boat was too loud - stock HP525.
    Now I have been trying to keep up with the changes in the noise laws but this is the first I have heard from ANY SOURCE about a new law in AZ let alone at 86 decibles. I think this guy was full of $hit but wanted other input from anybody else who may have heard something about a new law. As far as I know the existing law is 86 db-A using the SAE J34 test. As I understand the J34 test is a shoreline (50' away) test which would be nearly impossible to administer effectly and fairly inside the Havasu Marina due to the nature of the marina design.
    New law? I call Bull$hit on this one...I think this may be new harrassment of the performance boaters by the marina.

RiverDave
    I'm not sure about the dates, but he's not full of shit..
    It's in effect as of right now down in Parker.
    RD

HavasuDreamin'
    New law probably not.............new ordinance in that area? Who knows?

Essex502
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    I'm not sure about the dates, but he's not full of shit..
    It's in effect as of right now down in Parker.
    RD
    The existing law is 86 dB-A at 50' at fulll throttle which might be what is being enforced.
    But...with walls like the marina ramp has it can't be reasonable to test at the waterline.

Toomstone
    havasu marina hates loud boats anyway. in all the havasu marina threads people talk about getting kicked out because of how loud there boat was. so they may be telling people not to come back just because they think its to loud even though it may be under the limit.

Ducatista
    Gee, now the marina is picking on the small boats too! They have us (preformance boaters)all by the balls with the noise regulations, and they are just the start. It will soon be just like that everywhere you launch. Plan on some serious exhaust mods soon if you want to hit the lakes & rivers, because it's not far off.

don johnson
    Was pulled over in Parker 4 weeks ago and told that my boat was excessively loud and did not conform to the new Arizona 86 decibels law. This was straight from the Sheriff. The Sheriff was a real nice guy and let me go with a warning. However, I now run with my mufflers on whenever I see a Sheriff....
    I was also asked not to come back to the Havasu Marina but the grumpy old man...
    I have a friend that is a Sheriff in Havasu and he took a decibel reading on my boat at idle with mufflers on and it was 92 decibels so this new law is very hard to conform with high HP motors

Boatcop
    No new noise law. It's been 86 db @ 50' since 1974.

KACHINA KEN
    Originally posted by Essex502
    New law? I call Bull$hit on this one...I think this may be new harrassment of the performance boaters by the marina.
    This should be no surprise to you, the owner is legendary for being a prick to the hand that feeds him, worst type of business owner IMO.

don johnson
    Hi Alan,
    Interesting that the law has been in effect since 1974.
    I assume there is pressure on enforcing it more diligentily now? Reason I say that is I run with an number of big HP boaters and until this past year none of us had been questioned. Now all of us have been politely reminded by law enforcement of the law. We are all searching for products that will muffle sound. However, in big Supercharged motors there are not many options....
    For example I have Teague switchable mufflers that do a decent job at low RPM. However, at higher RPM's when the blowers are in boost the muffler flapper is deactivated as it creates too much backpressure in the motor and can damage the motor real fast...
    I am reseaching other options but they all seem to have the same features, good sound deadening at low RPM but they must be deactivated at higher RPM's on blower motors.
    Alan, I have attached a picture of my boat. If you happen to remember seeing it go by did you feel it was flagarently or moderately loud?
    Take Care,
    Don

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast