Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Fellas tryin to find my first Jet boat need some help doin it

JetRookie
    Hey guys, basically me and my cousin just turned 21. I own a 67 gto with a mild built 400(bore.30/cam/blah blah). Seems like the top 3 motors people are running are the 454s, 460s, and 455s. I dont have much expirence with the 460s or the 455s(although a couple buddies have some kick ass olds 442). My uncle has a 21ft 89 Hardin marine Carribean with a 454. hasn't given us much trouble over the years.
    So over all what do you guys suggest? should I stay away from a specific motor(460s) or certain boat manufacturers(tahiti?) Everyone has their own opinion and I understand that, just need some help steered in the right direction.
    We got about 6k saved up and would like something thats going to attract pu$$y, haul ass and not eat my $$$. hahha. So if anyone can help me out and give me a few pointed let me know.
    By the way has anyone heard of a 72 'Jencer' with a 455? A guy is selling one but I've asked around and no one has a clue or have ever heard of the make of the boat.
    Thanks in advance guys.
    Here is some eye candy for you fellas...this eliminator is my absolute favorite boat I have yet to see. I wish I could find something like this bad boy!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_001-med.jpg

Nubbs
    Since nobody else is jumping in here, I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I wouldn't buy a boat with anything other than a GM big block. Parts are pretty easy to find, and relatively inexpensive. As far as jets are concerned, I like Dominator. As far as hulls are concerned........well, I don't have any advice on them. I had an 86 Nordic bubbledeck and I liked it. Good luck.

JetRookie
    Thanks for the info Nubbs, hopefully some more people post up and share their opinion too.

Sangster
    Stay away from the OLDS also...And make sure it has a Berkley pump...

FOURQ
    ok ill get on this one... i am partial to the BBC but the fords are really good to turning some really good #'s..i would try to stay with a berkeley pump as far as the hull i am partial to the Southwinds strong boat and very reliable never heard anyone say anything bad about them..but they all have their problem areas i would stay away from the no names like what you mentioned a ?? what Jencer wtf is that? as far as a boat not eating your $$$$ GET A ROW BOAT! you must not know what boat stands for?? (Bust Out Another Thousand)...just my .02

KARNAC
    Hello JetRookie,
    After reading a number of posts in this forum, I believe the
    454 is the most popular followed by the 460 Ford and 455 Olds.
    I picked-up a 1973 Southwind Jet from "THE BOAT BROKER" at
    Havasu,Az. last summer for less than 4K. It is pretty much stock
    and is being used to tow the family around.
    It's equiped with a 455 Olds. and Jacuzzi WJ pump. This isn't the
    fastest rig on the water at this altitude of 5000 feet plus, however
    it does a good job of towing.
    If you go to the Hot Boat (Image center or forum) and type in
    KARNAC in the search block it should take you to some pictures
    of what less than 4K will buy. A very clean boat for the price.

mud duck
    You can build an Olds or Ford to be very stout, but it will probably take more money and time to do. I had a 1975 18' Taylor SS with an Olds 455, nice boat never gave me any trouble at all. It was my third boat, but my first jet boat. However, I always wondered what a BBC could do for me because of all the talk on these boards about how great Chevys are. Well, they can blow up to if you push them to hard. I am currently on my second BBC which was an expensive mistake for me. I thought they were bullet proof, my simple stupid mistake, I know. Open bow boats will be harder to find around 6 grand. Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress and selection. I agree with FOURQ, boating is always more expensive that you had previously thought. But it can sure get the adrenaline flowing.

Dan Lorenze
    would like something thats going to attract pu$$y, haul ass and not eat my $$$.
    I think that's the key to life....... If you find something that will do all that, let us know....

I have a 460 in my boat, it runs real nice.. One thing I noticed about having a BBF is that parts are not as easy to find as if I had a BBC.. Looking through catalogs has shown me that BBC parts are just about everywhere. I would also get a Berkeley pump, again, parts are easy to get and they are reliable.
    Last but not least, look at the trailer. My old trailer was rusted and cracked, it was a pain to keep running. I finally upgraded it to a new one with brakes, it's like having a new boat...
    Dan

lilrick
    chev,berk, full stringer hull.... with 6k, you should have no problem...

1Bahnerjet
    Originally posted by lilrick
    chev,berk, full stringer hull.... with 6k, you should have no problem...
    alot of Bahner's out there fit this description...
    can't go wrong with a Bahner...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast