Thread: Prop or gears

Bob Hostetter
    I have finally got everything else the way I want it on my hallet deep 'v' v-drive and am now turning more rpm then I want to. I think it is time to look at either going to a bigger prop or more gear in the v-drive.
    Any opinions on which is the best way to go...........

kipperps28
    I'd say if you liked the way your prop worked before, step up the gear. Gears are easy to sell. Props that don't work are tough and you can lose money! Just an opinion... by the way, anybody want some props that don't work???

boatguy222
    Kip,
    Just be cause they don't work on a Starfire, doesn't mean they wont on something else. What do you have???
    Sorry for the hijack, I would change gears too.

kipperps28
    Oh, they all work (to some degree). Hit the starter... boat goes forward. No, I have a stock 11 X 16 or so Menkens that I have been toying with having Ron Hill work over. At Burley, I tried a couple of Hill's wheels (thanks Rankin) and liked em a lot. So much for the theory that "only a Stellings will work on a Starfire". The Menkens has a TON of rake compared to the Stellings, and different blade shape. I bought a little wheel from Hill that I tried at Black Lake (a little wimpy) but it might work well on a Nosty course (we'll see at Moses!) We are getting ready to run the new "1 Up" capsule boat that Lapointe and JR built, so I am going to bolt every prop I have on that!