Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A to AA on rebuild

cncer691
    My pump is being rebuilt by Don's pump service. He is telling yo run an AA instead of the A that is on it. I have a pretty stock 455 on a 16 Tahiti. I already only turn my motor around 4500 rpm, so do I really want the AA? I pan to rebuild motor when the money comes, but who knows when that will be. Also, what is this Cavitation Reducer he is putting on? Does it help?

rivercrazy
    I'd stay with the A Impeller. You will loose at least 300 rpm with the AA.
    Does your boat cavitate out of the hole or in the turns? If not I doubt you need the Cav Reducer.

HBjet
    A

BowTie Rick
    After my schooling on yesterdays post by yours truly, "A" is the one for you.

cncer691
    That is what I thought, but he is really pushing the AA. He has been doing this for a lot longer than I have, but he is also probably assuming my motor is stronger than it is. The Hardin motor blew up before i owned the boat, and the cheapskate I bought it from looks like he just pulled a motor out of a Delta and put on Hardin valve covers. Does anyone know anything about Don?

Bitz
    Stock Olds motors don't like high RPM's without some major bucks thrown at them. Trouble with oil making its way up and not draining back down. Don may be just trying to help out there depending on what you are planning to do to the motor. Think you normally want them to max out around 4500-4700. If you are going to a AA I would question the need for an inducer as you usually get a pretty good holeshot anyway. Certainly don't mean to second guess here but may be worth discussing.

spectras only
    cncer691, Bitz is right ,keep the RPM where it belongs on the Olds [low].The Olds has tremendous torque at the low end ,and a "AA" without inducer should be fine.A friend had a sidewinder with one and it hauled nice.

LVjetboy
    Don rebuilt a pump for me and did good work. I believe he knows what he's talking about, but have limited experience. You could ask him specifically why he recommends an AA over an A when you're only turning 4500 rpm on the A. And whether a tight AA will benefit from an inducer on launch.
    jer

BigJetDaddy
    Don is definitely A#1. He has done work for me and it is first class. He definitely knows what he is talking about. I will be sending my stuff back up to him for a cavitation reducer soon. I am sure he would be happy to take the time to discuss why he recommends a AA vs an A. I also think he is probably just trying to keep your Olds' RPM's down. Don is a great guy that has forgotten more about jets that I will ever know.
    Good Luck

cncer691
    Well, I talked to Don last night, and we are staying with A impeller. I was scared that that the AA might drop me below 4000 rpm. He wanted to run the AA to give me room to build up the engine, but I don't know exactly when that will happen. I hope I'm making the right choice, but I'm thinking the rebuilt pump is going to drop rpm enough all ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast