Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Skills

Froggystyle
    Spectratoad's post about "Retrosexuals" got me thinking about some interesting conversations had by my platoon several years ago while travelling to and from a shooting range in Fort Chaffee, AR.
    Riding in the back of a six-by for 40 minutes pretty much sucks, so you pass the time talking instead of the impossible sleep.
    One time, the subject of "Man skills" popped up. These are skills that every man should be able to do. EVERY man. These are what women look for in a man, not on an every day basis, but if the need comes up, you should be able to answer the call.
    Unfortunately, geographical differences in our upbringings showed the diversity of what "man skills" should be, and as such some of our more rural members figured that "stalking a deer" should be on the list. To humor him, we just made a secondary and tertiary list up as well. We can stick to Primary Man Skills for this though.
    To stat us off, I will give you all the basics. These are the big ones I remember...
    Throw a ball. We are not talking about just getting it downrange either... you need to look like you know what you are doing.
    Remove a bra with one hand.
    Start a fire with appropriate tools. This means matches, tinder and kindling. Advanced man skills dictate you should be able to do it with flint or sticks, but for the sake of argument, every man on the planet should be able to look at a stack of flammables and a match and get a fire started.
    Grill meat properly. You can use the fire you started.
    Shoot a gun safely and effectively.
    Tie your shoe properly. Granny knots don't count. If any of you guys want to check and see if your dad showed you how to tie your shoes wrong (happens a lot...) see if the bows are lying flat with the loose ends, which are in turn lying flat on the tied laces. It should all be in a line left to right. If anything wants to lay up/down...you got a granny knot, Grandma!
    This gets into more advanced man skills, but I firmly feel that if stranded in the wilderness for whatever reason, you should know how to butcher any animal enough to get meat off of it for your fire. Rabbit, squirrel or bear. Be able to get the good stuff off, and not get sick because of septic shock or something.
    Drive a stick shift. This is a biggy.
    Punch without breaking your thumb. Realistically, this goes down to knowing how to defend yourself, but most sissys don't know how to punch without breaking their own thumb, so we can start with that as a qualifier.
    OK, now I open it to the floor...

hoolign
    should know how to get where he's going..without HAVING TO ASK FOR DIRECTIONS!
    be able to fix most things with hammer, some tape and a chunk of 4 guage wire
    should only be able to answer the question"what kind of boat do you have ?" with a three letter word

rivercrazy
    I feel better now.....I guess I'm a man afterall....
    One more item that IMO should be added is being able to service your woman and keep a consistent smile on her face!

Lightning
    Change oil in a car and at least know how to turn a wrench.
    The one hand bra removal is key though as well as the grilling of meat.

Kilrtoy
    Nice,
    Drink beer without throwing up

HM
    Originally posted by Kilrtoy
    Nice,
    Drink beer without throwing up
    Dote!! How many beers? I throw up somewhere after 3 beers, but the problem is, I lose count after 3!!

Stupid Fast
    He should be able to unload and load his boat from his trailer by himself if needed, and weather you own a boat or not A Retro man should know how to back up a trailer, If not see the thing about using a hammer and drilling the hole.

CrazyHippy
    Originally posted by hoolign
    should only be able to answer the question"what kind of boat do you have ?" with a three letter word
    STV???
    Swing a Hammer and not hit their thumb
    Do a pull up.... right now, no cheating, no excuses
    Ditto a push up....
    BJH

Froggystyle
    OK, these all kick ass. I agree on the oil change. For shizzle.
    How about the ability to drink a shot of tequila without a bitch look on your face afterwards? Touchy subject for some... but still, if you make a poo face after a shot, you should probably see if your purse matches your socks...

rivercrazy
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    OK, these all kick ass. I agree on the oil change. For shizzle.
    How about the ability to drink a shot of tequila without a bitch look on your face afterwards? Touchy subject for some... but still, if you make a poo face after a shot, you should probably see if your purse matches your socks...
    Depends if its real tequilla (like Patron, Tres Generations, Cazadores, etc) or fake stuff like Jose Cuervo. I can't smell Cuervo without feeling like I'm gonna hurl......Guess I'm a sissy....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast