Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: real estate career????

4DAY4PLAY
    With so many people on these boards in the industry, can anyone give me advice on a career in real estate? My wife is looking to get educated for a career change. WE would like her to be in something flexible, not too many hours, something she can also do some of the work from home. The $$$ isnt as important as the schedule, for i have alot of days off in my job. Any advice? i know the market is flooded with agents, but will they all be still around if things slow down? Also, for those who have done it, how tough was real estate licensing school, and how much does it normally cost? thanks for your input.

76ANTHONY
    With so many people on these boards in the industry, can anyone give me advice on a career in real estate? My wife is looking to get educated for a career change. WE would like her to be in something flexible, not too many hours, something she can also do some of the work from home. The $$$ isnt as important as the schedule, for i have alot of days off in my job. Any advice? i know the market is flooded with agents, but will they all be still around if things slow down? Also, for those who have done it, how tough was real estate licensing school, and how much does it normally cost? thanks for your input.
    ask mrs racer277, i think shes schooling on it now..

NoCal NoBoat
    I took "Principles of Real Estate" at my local community college.
    As I recall, upon passing the class, I was eligible to take the seller's exam.
    I'll defer to the professionals on here, but I do know that you need to be very flexible with your hours, and plan on working weekends, hosting open houses, and touring with buyers. The successful brokers and agents I know are available almost 24/7 for their clients. A well-equipped home office, with an above-average fax machine would be most helpful for working from home.

socalmofo
    I am currently a Realtor and I am also studying for the Brokers test.
    I used www.Unitededucational.com for my principles course and that made me eligible to apply for the state test. There are better schools out there. However this one is a home study and is very cheap compared to others.
    It is harder work than one would expect. Everybody always wants to say that all the part timers will leave as it slows down and everybody thinks they are exempt from being one of them. Real estate is a cut throat business and people come and go daily.

eman1625
    Try real estate trainers...they were very easy with the classes and they have a great crash course for the test. I have had my lic. for 9years and my Brokers lic for a year. It's all a about who you know and if you can put together a good strong network. If you dont have a strong network to pull from you are gonna spend $ in Advertising and that has no guaranty.

al cole'holic
    Anthony Schools is a very good place to start. If she wants to get into the Real Estate thing a bit half ass'd, she may want to just start out assisting for a good agent at a good outfit. That will give a good feel for the business and really give some insight as to whether or not it may be something she would want to pursue. Don't expect to jump in and make tons of $$ off the bat, alot of new Realtors the past couple of years did just that and are now back in the supermarket trade, etc.. If the wifey wants to jump full force into the shark bowl at some point, be prepared to support the household for at least a year...you need to make your bones in this biz before you lock down a good 6 figures, just the nature of the biz. The cost of the school, books, etc is very minimal but it's the learning process and time that is straining. It takes a certain personality to make it in the Real Estate biz, and too many people think anyone can do it and make lots of $$...they find out soon enough it wasn't what they thought. It is a good career, with a lot of benefits, but it does have a price in the beginning. Hope my $.02 helps, and good luck!! :rollside:

callbob4homes
    If you are looking to make a career as in liveable income, part time won't cut it. Yes alot leave, I believe the figures to be 87% fall out the first year and half of the rest never renew their license. and they just keep coming. That said, if you work at it and use your "sphere of influence" , once you get going, it can be lucrative. It can also be frustrating as there are lots of hills and valleys to contend with. and it is expensive, don't let anyone tell you it's not. Advertising, website, cards and signs, gas to be a tourist guide etc. MLS fee, office fee, NAR fee and the list goes on. Oh yeah, I believe someone said all you need is duct tape and a magic marker for that I forgot.
    Oh and don't forget, you are an independent contractor, so you need to save some money or set some back for income tax if you sell something. But you can deduct the cost of duct tape. :rollside: Good luck, the testing and schooling are not hard but does nothing to prepare you to sell or list homes. Get with a large company that has up to date training and mentoring for that.

4DAY4PLAY
    thanks for everyones input, i will look into all of those leads...she hasnt worked in a couple years, and is fairly young(26) and just wants to get into something interesting and somewhat flexible. Any money she makes will be extra play money, and not a necessity(atleast as of now). again thanks for the help.....

riverroyal
    im north san diego,hemet,french valley,elsinore etc will have alot of resales for years to come.If she is a personable girl she will make it just fine,if she is attractive she will make a killing.

Outnumbered
    I would highly recommend that she be an assistant to a top producer if she has no experience. She will learn from the best and make some good connections in the process. After a year or two she will have the background she needs to break out on her own. Good luck. And as was said above, its not as easy as it looks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast