Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition

JET-O-VATOR
    OK I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS HERE... WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT MY BOAT LIKE 4 MONTHS OR SO AGO THE IGNITION SWITCH WENT OUT THE FIRST TRIP SO I REPLACED IT NOW THIS LAST WEEKEND I WENT TO TURN THE ENGINE OFF TO FLOAT PAST AVI AND IT STAYED RUNNING..... SO IM GUNNA BY ANOTHER IGNITION SWITCH THIS WEEK AND PUT IT IN BEFORE CBBB BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO BUY??
    QUESTION 2: MY HEI KEEPS EATING IGNITION MODULES. WHY? THIS IS THE THIRD ONE I HAVE PUT IN IT SINCE I GOT HER... I HAVE AN EXTRA IN THE BOAT NOW BUT WHY DO THEY KEEP GOING OUT. THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD NO PROBLEMS.. AND THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THAT MAYBE MY JET-O-VATOR THAT I INSTALLED IS THROWING WATER BACK IN TO THE BOAT AND GETTING THE DISTRIBUTER WET I DUNNO THO... ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? AND WHATS EVERYONE OPPINION OF THE MSD READY TO RUN MARINE DIST.... IF I CANT FIQUER IT OUT IM GUNNA PURCHACE THIS THING ILL END UP PAYING FOR IT IN IGNITION MODULES AT THIS RATE.. :idea:

Taylorman
    OK I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS HERE... WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT MY BOAT LIKE 4 MONTHS OR SO AGO THE IGNITION SWITCH WENT OUT THE FIRST TRIP SO I REPLACED IT NOW THIS LAST WEEKEND I WENT TO TURN THE ENGINE OFF TO FLOAT PAST AVI AND IT STAYED RUNNING..... SO IM GUNNA BY ANOTHER IGNITION SWITCH THIS WEEK AND PUT IT IN BEFORE CBBB BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO BUY??
    What kind of ignition do you have. If you have an MSD you may be getting backflow from the alternator that keeps you ignition firing causing the boat to keep running. Some say to use diodes. I tried them and did not work on mine. I connected my alternator wire to a different terminal on the ignition switch so it would not touch the ignition wire on my switch. That cured the problem for me.

JET-O-VATOR
    What kind of ignition do you have. If you have an MSD you may be getting backflow from the alternator that keeps you ignition firing causing the boat to keep running. Some say to use diodes. I tried them and did not work on mine. I connected my alternator wire to a different terminal on the ignition switch so it would not touch the ignition wire on my switch. That cured the problem for me.
    NO ITS IN MY IGNITION SWITCH BECAUSE IF I PLAY WITH THE KEY IT WILL SHUT OFF IF ITS IN THE OFF POSITION. ITS JUST AN OFF/ON/START KEY SWITCH.. DO THEY SELL WATER PROOF OR SEMI WATER PROOF ONES?? IM GOING TO REX TODAY BUT I DONT WANNA SOUND LIKE AN IDIOT AT THE COUNTER AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT TO ORDER

Screemy1
    I had the same problem... I wiggled the key and got it to stop.... replaced switch and it happened again... wiggleing didn't work.... after a few curse words, another switch, and three beers... figured out that it was the positve battery cable wiggled loose from the starter and the terminal connector was resting on the solinoid... I guess when I wiggled the key, it must have been a couincedence(spelling???) for it to shut off... re routed the batt wire and tightened it, returned both switches and the problem was solved... Check, just in case... good luck!

quiet riot
    just a possibility here, if you ignition switch is staying powered on, or just killing the motor and then still leaving power on to your ignition system then it will kill your module. They don't like having power applied to them for periods when they aren't running the engine, hei, msd or any of them. A new switch might just solve both your problems.
    jd

cruser
    Check out the above and STOP YELLING!! (All capitals in your message equals YELLING)
    cruzer

JET-O-VATOR
    thanks for all the advise.. ill check it all out the boat is at the river so ill look at it friday night b4 cbbb... and quiet riot i think your right..... sorry cruzer.. here at work we have to do everything in caps so i dont even relize it anymore......

BrendellaJet
    Check out the above and STOP YELLING!! (All capitals in your message equals YELLING)
    cruzer
    Damn, get over it. Hes not yelling, he typing in caps. Some idiot made that rule up and people like you allow it to spread. Last I checked we weren't being graded on our punctuation.

JESSE
    jet o vator i think if you get the switch fixed it will fix the modules most likely
    i got a switch from auto zone and had the same thing hapen to me after a few trips. got one from a boat shop and that fixed it. also if you have you jetovator down in revers it can spray water in the boat.

Floored
    when you mount the module are you using dielectric grease on the mounts? a necessary evil on HEI. If your rotor is very dark in the center it can be grounding out through the distributor shaft and blow the module. any good BRASS ignition switch that is long enough to mount through the dash will work ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast