Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running is shallow water

1978 Rogers
    I now a jet is good for running in shallow water. The benifits have been posted many times.
    My question is how many of you do it? Do you run some type of filter or strainer? Do any of you worry about sucking up sand, dirt or silt and it being deposited in the block. I try and stay away from shallow water and I don't beach. I tie off to an anchor in 3 feet of water.
    This is my third year of owner ship of my Rogers. Last winter I did th usual winterize: fogging oil in the cylider heads, carb & opened the drain cocks on the block.
    To my supplize after a good long freeze the past winter, the soft plugs on one side of my block popped out from ice. No damage was done, but I vacuumed out about 2 cups of sand from where the plugs went with my shop vac after the ice had melted. Living in the NW I don't want this to happen again. How should I avoid any future problems with the drain cocks or siltation in the block?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I now a jet is good for running in shallow water. The benifits have been posted many times.
    My question is how many of you do it? Do you run some type of filter or strainer? Do any of you worry about sucking up sand, dirt or silt and it being deposited in the block. I try and stay away from shallow water and I don't beach. I tie off to an anchor in 3 feet of water.
    This is my third year of owner ship of my Rogers. Last winter I did th usual winterize: fogging oil in the cylider heads, carb & opened the drain cocks on the block.
    To my supplize after a good long freeze the past winter, the soft plugs on one side of my block popped out from ice. No damage was done, but I vacuumed out about 2 cups of sand from where the plugs went with my shop vac after the ice had melted. Living in the NW I don't want this to happen again. How should I avoid any future problems with the drain cocks or siltation in the block?
    removing the freeze plugs and vacuuming it out is the best way to do it IMO. I think several folks have had luck with the reusable freeze plugs. I usually do mine once a season.
    Omega

1978 Rogers
    Thanks, Omega. I'll have to do that at the end of every season. I'm still learning.

Spectra19
    You can also pull the thermo housing and put some anti freeze into the block. Have never had a problem doing that.

Duane HTP
    It's much better to put antifreeze and water in the block for the winter. If you take the soft plugs out and clean it, be sure to fill it back up with a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze or your block may rust clear through into your cylinder walls.

GlastronGuy
    I try to not run in shallow water. I coast into the beach with the motor off then let my anchor buddy pull the boat back out.
    If we are leaving from the beach, I give the boat a good shove as I am getting in (I have a step in the rear) and then coast out and start in deeper water.
    In the winter, I use 50/50 antifreeze.

Jungle Boy
    Isn't that why you buy a jet boat, to run shallow water.

malcolm
    I just drain mine out every fall. Just make sure you angle your trailer up or down depending on where your petcocks are.
    As far as sand in the block goes, I had a good amount of it after 5 years of running. It still wasn't causing any problems, but I don't think I'll let it go that long again.
    I beach all the time, just do it like GlastronGuy said and you should be OK. The biggest no-no is reversing while near the beach, that blows all the sand right up the intake.

GlastronGuy
    Isn't that why you buy a jet boat, to run shallow water.
    You coming in, in that pic to give out autographs?

Aluminum Squirt
    I'm with Jungle on this one. I roll over sand bars and while not on purpose, I don't shy away from them either. Most of the beer can boats run rock grates to keep the big stuff out. Anything that gets through just goes right on out the other end. I don't have reverse so I'm not sure how that works. I don't take the sled to the lake much anymore but when I do I make sure to drive it onto the beach a couple of times just to horrify the wakeboard boat crowd. I think the race boats get torn down so often that sand is not an issue and many of the larger aluminum boats have closed cooling, the Kiwi's probably know a little about it, any thoughts Jungle?-Aluminum Squirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast