Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help !! What would you do!!!!!!!!! (BOAT RELATED :))

scarabrick2
    Well my bro just got a new (still in the box)XR drive put on his boat. The drive install turned out great. However, they put a nice long scratch down both sides of the lower unit when he took off the motor flusher. This is not a good thing. The drive is brand new and now has two scratches down the sides. He paid a lot of money for that drive and before he could put it in the water he has this come up. A simple merc paint (can) is not going to fix it as its down to the white primer. He doesn't want a simple fix as its BRAND NEW!!. He's going to give the shop a chance to make it right but he wants it done right not just s little touch up paint. What's a guy to do? How should the scratch be repaired?
    Please feel free to post your thoughts.
    Rick

purrfecttremor
    Man that sucks.they need to step un with a fair discount tha your bro is satisfied with or replace it!If your bro is as anal as most boaters hes not going to be happy with a simple repair.Id throw a fockin fit!!!!!!!!!!!

scarabrick2
    Heck this IS boat related!!!!
    ttt

Tom Brown
    Three more posts and I'm jacking this thread.

BadKachina
    I have brand new drives in the box with scratches and chips on the edges just from being shipped. As soon as you run it a few times the lower unit will show some wear on it anyways. I would let it go, the mark up on them isn't that great for a shop anyways, Merc is the only one who makes big money on the drives. Give the shop a break, or work them for something reasonable, like a free drive service next time you come in. It's not worth all the aggrevation and hard feelings over a couple of scratches. If they scratched you gel coat or stained your interior than I would expect it to be fixed, but not the drive from putting ear muffs on.

andy01
    Well I would say "thanks for the work" and tow the boat home. I wouldn't even care about it. It is a repair shop and shit happens. I mean if someone runs into the boat then I would be worried, but hell a scratch on a part that you won't see once the boat is in the water and that is going to look like hell in a few hours of running........... let it go, tell them they owe him a boat wash. But really, don't worry about it............it's only a lower unit.
    Andy

RAZORSHARP
    There is so much competition out there and everyone says they are the best. When we pay money, alot of money, these shops should treat our boats like it was their own. Walk in their showroom and accidentally scratch a part on one of their boats and lets see if they just let you walk away and thank you for coming by.

boater012
    There is so much competition out there and everyone says they are the best. When we pay money, alot of money, these shops should treat our boats like it was their own. Walk in their showroom and accidentally scratch a part on one of their boats and lets see if they just let you walk away and thank you for coming by.
    As a matter of fact customers bump, bruise, and generally break stuff on accident all the time!!! I wouldnt worry if I was you like someone else said as soon as you run it a couple times it'll get all scratched up anyways!!! Hell the first time you beach the thing the scratch wil be right at home! Call rex marine and ask him if anyone ever broke anything in his show room and he let it go!!! Life is to short to stress over a scratch on a part that will get scratched anyways!! My lift kit was all scratched up when I bought it just from the shipping methods used! I like the free drive service idea myself! If you are of the mind that we as shop owners dont have our own stuff get scratched when we are assembling them you are wrong!!!!!

RAZORSHARP
    As a matter of fact customers bump, bruise, and generally break stuff on accident all the time!!! I wouldnt worry if I was you like someone else said as soon as you run it a couple times it'll get all scratched up anyways!!! Hell the first time you beach the thing the scratch wil be right at home! Call rex marine and ask him if anyone ever broke anything in his show room and he let it go!!! Life is to short to stress over a scratch on a part that will get scratched anyways!! My lift kit was all scratched up when I bought it just from the shipping methods used! I like the free drive service idea myself! If you are of the mind that we as shop owners dont have our own stuff get scratched when we are assembling them you are wrong!!!!!
    Sounds like this is coming from someone who is in the business of working on boats.

I don't think that it is worth ruining a relationship over. I am just as picky as the next buy but my two cents are let them fix it and go on your way. The free service dosn't sound like a bad idea either.
    Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast