Thread: Chokes-Good/Bad/ Does it matter?

Mohavekid
    OK, who run a carb choke on their jet boat?
    Mine has one, and it does not seem to do anything. All I seem to get is black soot on my transom from running rich. My temp gauge never gets above 120 or so, so it's probably at least partially choked all the time.
    Should I yank the Choke?
    The carb is a Holley 780 CFM VC. The motor is a Harman Marine 405 horse 454 BBC.

victorfb
    unless your going into some cold climates, you dont need the choke. you can remove it, but i dont think that is whats causing your rich condition. you may want to re-jet the carb if your air/fuel screws are allready properly set. do you know if the rich condition is at idle or at higher RPMs?
    by the way i have the choke still on the 750 holley VS thats on my Tahiti (455 olds) and never had a problem with it, just never needed to use it either.

Mohavekid
    Victor, the carb is set as original from the factory in 1982. The plugs look a little dark, but not too bad.
    I use the boat a lot for towing the kids around so it idles quite a bit of the time.
    I think I may pull it off and see what if any change that makes.

victorfb
    i dont think you will see any change, especially at idle and mid range. you might see a slight change at top speed if you were racing and had thousandths of seconds to count. i would never be able to tell thats for sure. one thing though if you are going to remove it. disconnect the battery, remove the carb so you wont lose anything into the intake.

Mohavekid
    Choke is off.
    I taped up the power lead just in case I need to put it back on for some reason.
    We'll see at the CBBB. :smilespi: