Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being liberal... A BAD thing?

AzDon
    I didn't write this article, but it explains exactly how I feel about the derogatory intonation of the word liberal.
    Go ahead, make my day--Call me a liberal.
    Arizona Republic
    The speech bubble over the dog's picture says, "Hi. My name's 'No, No, Bad Dog!' What's yours?"
    That dog is an American liberal. L word became an epithet because liberals gave up without a fight years ago.
    They ceded the moral high ground to guys with the big radio voices who insist conservative means "God and country". Liberal, on the other hand, was equated with all things godless and unpatriotic.
    Whoever dreamed up this hooey probably never imagined it would be so easy to sell, but liberals were too busy building houses for poor folks protesting the felling of old growth trees and not bothering to vote. They just shrugged. Meanwhile, the democrats, who should have given those liberals a reason to vote, went on the defensive.
    Now they cringe like the bad dog to hear John Kerry and John Edwards described as having "the most liberal and the fourth-most liberal" voting records in Congress.
    Like it's an insult.
    Like they did something nasty on the living room rug. But liberal is not a dirty word or an obsolete philosophy, so all you e-mailers who try to blast me with messages that start "You liberals..." are going to have to realize I don't take it as an insult, and I don't think anyone else should either.
    America is steeped in liberal values. Even if huge numbers of Americans have been indoctrinated to think "values" is a word of, by, and for the conservatives.
    It is in fact the government that is supposed to be of, by, and for something. And that something, as Abe Lincoln said, is "the people". It is a legitimate function of the government as the constitution says, to "promote the general welfare".
    Liberal ideas have done a great deal to fulfill the quest for a "more perfect union". So much that many people take the blessings of liberalism for granted.
    There's social security. Ask Granny if that was a good idea. And Medicare and Medicaid. There might also be a comprehensible health insurance program for the rest of us if Bill Clinton's efforts hadn't been derailed.
    Those who say social services are expensive are right. But failing to provide them can have a bigger cost. And, besides, it was Ronald Reagan who produced the kind of deficits that George W. is apparently trying to match. Tell me again who's philosophy is fiscally responsible?
    Liberal thinking also codified civil rights, opening up new opportunities for women and minorities. All those who think that was a mistake, please sit in the back of the bus for a few decades.
    Those who think it would have happened eventually without federal interference, please reread Langston Hughes' poem, A Dream Deferred.
    Liberal ideas also make your pocketbook safer. Do you feel confident putting your money in the bank? Thank the FDIC, a creation of FDR's New Deal, which also gave us the SEC to regulate the stock market.
    Corporate scandals raised questions about the quality of the oversight, but Enron and Worldcom sure didn't make a case against regulation. Just the contrary.
    Americans accept government regulation in all sorts of areas. From laws against pollution to handicap parking spaces because they understand that the government has a role in furthering the greater public good.
    In the August cover story on "Liberalism Regained", Ralph Nader asked Harper's magazine the rhetorical question, "When was the last time you saw a major democratic candidate brag about how many lives the democrats saved by pushing through air and water pollution laws, auto safety laws, and the consumer product safety commission bill?"
    Nader represents the "divided we fail" approach to relegitimatizing liberalism as obsolete as a Corvair. Howard Dean, on the other hand, is rallying the liberal troops to remake and retake the democratic party from within in November and beyond.
    In June, he spoke to a Campaign for America's Future conference about the importance of emulating the long-term organizational strategies that brought the Republicans to power.
    "We know what the right wing has done, and we are going to have to do it [also]," he said. The conference was called Take Back America.
    At a not-for-primetime rally by the same group during the democratic convention, Dean again called for democrats to follow the right's example. "Run candidates for everything from library trustee on up," he urged.
    It just might work. But only if bad dog liberals learn something else from their more successful political opposites. NEVER ACT LIKE YOU ARE ASHAMED OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

schiada96
    bla bla bla. Your crap is getting very old

summerlove
    bla bla bla. Your crap is getting very old
    you just made his point....

schiada96
    You know all of this non boating stuff sucks. There are plenty of forums where your and Don's opinions can be put to use. Why preach to a choir that doesn't follow your beliefs.
    SL by the way nice bow rail

haulina29
    Liberalisim the cancer that is killing our country . I f your granny is living off social security in these times she must have been asleep for 60 years anybody who lived thru the last 3 generations and has nothing has deeper problems than i care to discuss . As a white american male i would be imbarrased to be associated with the term liberal . Wake up look who is in your party LMFAO :cry:

AzDon
    You know all of this non boating stuff sucks. There are plenty of forums where your and Don's opinions can be put to use. Why preach to a choir that doesn't follow your beliefs.
    I've got an idea:
    Lets all petition ***boat online to ban ALL threads and posts with any hint of political content......The Sandbar is the correct forum for non-boating subjects, but I'd be completely okay with a "no politics or religion" policy!
    Do you have a problem with the fairness of allowing opposing viewpoints?
    If so, maybe you'd be more happy in Cuba where free speech is not allowed. I don't think you are going to have much luck squelching free speech on a utility owned by Larry Flynt!

rrrr
    Liberal thinking also codified civil rights, opening up new opportunities for women and minorities. All those who think that was a mistake, please sit in the back of the bus for a few decades.
    Oh, you gonna take credit for that? The Southern Democrats fought like h3ll against civil rights.
    Just one example in that long winded piece of blurring the facts quite nicely.

WaTchTheGelCoat
    Liberalisim the cancer that is killing our country . I f your granny is living off social security in these times she must have been asleep for 60 years anybody who lived thru the last 3 generations and has nothing has deeper problems than i care to discuss . As a white american male i would be imbarrased to be associated with the term liberal . Wake up look who is in your party LMFAO :cry:
    I am not a republican or a democrat, personally i dont give a damn about politics. My grand mother doesnt live off of SS, if she did, why would it be such a bad thing? Thats what its there for, but for some reason we are supporting people that enter this country illlegaly with it, thats ok? If SS is such a bad thing why the hell is it still in place? If my or any generation isnt gonna get anything out of it, why the hell am i forced to pay in to it? To take care of illegals? **** that.

schiada96
    I've got an idea:
    Lets all petition ***boat online to ban ALL threads and posts with any hint of political content......The Sandbar is the correct forum for non-boating subjects, but I'd be completely okay with a "no politics or religion" policy!
    Do you have a problem with the fairness of allowing opposing viewpoints?
    If so, maybe you'd be more happy in Cuba where free speech is not allowed. I don't think you are going to have much luck squelching free speech on a utility owned by Larry Flynt!
    I don't have a problem with fairness just try it it on your site. This crap is old don't you see that

Dr. Eagle
    OK... if it'll make your day... LIBERAL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast