Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GM Tech question

wsuwrhr
    My wife's truck is a '00 Vortec 5.3 C1500, it just turned 100K.
    Almost like clockwork, the "service engine soon" light came on.
    I keep it maintained well, very good emissions still, always gets warmed up, runs perfect, get's good gas mileage, yada, yada, yada.
    Basically what could I be in for at the dealer? O2 sensor maybe?
    Brian

Kachina26
    My wife's truck is a '00 Vortec 5.3 C1500, it just turned 100K.
    Almost like clockwork, the "service engine soon" light came on.
    I keep it maintained well, very good emissions still, always gets warmed up, runs perfect, get's good gas mileage, yada, yada, yada.
    Basically what could I be in for at the dealer? O2 sensor maybe?
    Brian
    Go to autozone get the code scanned, DON'T BUY ANYTHING, and tell me what it is.

phxsleek
    it could be one of about 200 things...Probably minor if the truck is running good. Being a GM service manager here in Phoenix, I would recomend you take it to a Chevy dealer for a QUALITY diagnosis and repair.
    We are constantly fixing indepedant shops repairs. You usually get what you pay for.

wsuwrhr
    Go to autozone get the code scanned, DON'T BUY ANYTHING, and tell me what it is.
    I figured you would chime in.
    You quit to go to the train deal right?
    How is it going?
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    it could be one of about 200 things...Probably minor if the truck is running good. Being a GM service manager here in Phoenix, I would recomend you take it to a Chevy dealer for a QUALITY diagnosis and repair.
    We are constantly fixing indepedant shops repairs. You usually get what you pay for.
    No sir,
    My dad is a Tech for Chrysler. I know it is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    I wouldn't take it anywhere else than a dealer.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    I forgot about the scanner deal, I will do it after she gets back from work at 3:00.
    Brian

Kachina26
    Couldn't agree more, being a tech for a GM dealer for 15 years, I made alot of money off of Pep Boys diags.
    Brian, I love the new gig. I liked what I did before, but the business was getting to be more than I could stand.

maxwedge
    I second the Auto Zone freebie. As an F150 owner, my check engine light comes on often. On more than one occasion I've found myself fixing what the local Ford dealer mis-diagnosed, or screwed up. IMO if you want it done right...do it yourself... and stay with the Chevy.

wsuwrhr
    I second the Auto Zone freebie. As an F150 owner, my check engine light comes on often. On more than one occasion I've found myself fixing what the local Ford dealer mis-diagnosed, or screwed up. IMO if you want it done right...do it yourself... and stay with the Chevy.
    As a Dodge lover, one bastard moniker is enough(the Dodges) I could never own a Ford. Well maybe a GT-40.
    Brian

Boatcop
    The light coming on at a set mileage, say 100,000, looks to me like a service reminder, rather than a trouble indication.
    I've had cars set the service engine light when things like O2 sensors were at their scheduled service life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast