Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting

GreatWhite007
    Hey guys,
    Do you all use "Marine" paint for the hull and decks (assuming older boat, with paint, not gel on fibreglass anymore), or will a good industrial (high abrasion resistant) enamel do as well.....
    Boat is trailerd, only in water a few hours at a time.
    Just don't want to pay $150/gal for 'Marine Paint' if it is just relabeled Home Depot paint...
    Thoughts?
    THX
    Greatwhite

copperrat20
    Well the paint you use depends on where you take your boat. Ocean? or just Lakes? Is the boat currently gel coated or automotive paint. If automotive paint is it single stage or two stage? If you go with automotive paint do you want to use single stage or two stage? Are you going to spray it in a booth? Gel coat isn't very hard to spray and it is fairly cheap. You just can't spray it with a gravity feed gun. And you can spray it outside or in a garage. You don't need a booth. Also gel is more durable and is easily colorsanded and buffed to perfection if you scratch it. The most expensive gel you can buy is a custom color and that is only about $75 per gallon. Just some food for thought. :idea:

Spectra19
    Gel coat isn't very hard to spray and it is fairly cheap. You just can't spray it with a gravity feed gun. :idea:
    Just sprayed mine with a gravity feed gun with no problem. Talk to Wally Gator he used the exact same gun I did. Harbor frieght cheapy. And yes gel is cheaper 5 gallon pale of white cost me 225.00 but yes the colors are more expensive. And the thing with gel is that the labor to finish it is what makes it expensive. If you have the time to sand and buff gel it yourself it is much nicer than paint. And will last a lot longer. Good Luck!

BrendellaJet
    Sprayed mine with a gravity feed too. No probs.

dtr352
    How is your guys paint system set up. Do you guys mix gel catalyst and hardener all at once and use a regular paint gun. Or do you use a special gel gun that mixes externally so nothing dries up in the gun. I'm getting ready to re gel the southwind and I want to do it myself and right the first time. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great.

BrendellaJet
    the tip on my spray gun is 2.2mill. I heard a 3.0 would work a lot better for gel, but it sprayed well enough. Mixed with acetone and when I was happy with the ratio I threw in the catalyst. Ive got 2 cups and a helper to clean one out while Im using the other.

Floored
    can you get a clear gel? want to clear my boat,or, do I need to go Imron?

dtr352
    where did you guys buy your gel coat. Were they helpfull with any questions you had. This is going to be my first shot so good customer service would help a lot. I am thinking of usins white base with one or two other colors and grey striping. Can you cover the whole boat in white then spray the colors or is the gel to thick. I am woryed that the colors will stick up off the white and that it could be weakened and prone to cracking or peeling.

BrendellaJet
    you can stack the colors if you want, but I think it will turn out better if you tape sections and spray gel so they all end up the same level. Lots more work, but well worth it...Ive also read that if you spary too thick it can crack?

copperrat20
    I buy my gel from sherfab unlimited in norwalk ca. Good prices. Shitty attitudes though. They have small seminars in there where they will show you how to spray and other little helpful tips. They do make a clear gel coat. To me the clear looks like it has a bit of a yellow tint but the guys at sherfab will tell you that I am full of shit for saying it. Just in one angle of the sunlight does it look like it has that yellow tint. Everything I have seen or sprayed with clear looks that way too. I don't recommend clear unless you are spraying over wood or a yellow boat. Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast