Thread: Clear Lake...anyone???

ahhell
    Is boating good at Clear Lake, yes its way the hell up there (nor. Cal.) My sister in law lives there, its a beautiful lake but all the times ive been there i dont remember seeing large boats on there (21+ ft) the sisterinlaw doesnt boat so shes not really too informative...just a thought i had...wishing i was on the water, not in Hysteria :cry:

Mohavekid
    Clear lake is big, but this time of year it's full of weeds. :cry:
    Shasta, Oroville, the Delta, Tahoe, New Melones, are better bets for nice water.

gnarley
    There are quite a few big boats up there. I have seen a few 35-38 footers there but not frequently. The lake tends to run shallow compared to what most of are used to and if memory serves me the average depth is about 20' feet. During a normal year I think it is ok to boat in until early July, after that the lake gets a lot of algae and gets real green in some of the real shallow areas so I don't boat after mid July. Remember this is a natural lake, not man made like most in California. This year we had a real early warming trend and the algae bloomed early and caused oxygen depravation in which lots of fish died and stunk up some areas I read in the paper. Some people love it and others hate it, decide for yourself.

ahhell
    I remember the smell...esp. when we stayed in a hotel on the water in Lakeport, BEAUTIFUL little town, but the smell!!!!..........

Keithb87
    We went up there to pick up a boat motor. The lake was not "Clear" at all....We did not boat there, but we did stop to look at it cuz it was one of the larger NorCal inland bodies of water on the map.. Don't think I'd of called it CLEAR LAKE..... Maybe Green Lake or Black Lagoon...