Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depth gages

Kachina26
    Do your depth gages work while on a plane? Especially those of you with stepped bottoms.

Debbolas
    ours does not................

MRS FLYIN VEE
    Do your depth gages work while on a plane? Especially those of you with stepped bottoms.
    I don't think they do.. but who am I to say.. I'm just a rider..

Dr. Eagle
    NO, they won't because the water is aerated under the hull. W/O step bottom, works sometimes and not sometimes.
    Kinda sucks...

Kachina26
    that's what I was told, I was just a bit skeptical. Seems odd to have a depth finder that only works when you are going slow enough to see how deep it is.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    that's what I was told, I was just a bit skeptical. Seems odd to have a depth finder that only works when you are going slow enough to see how deep it is.
    thats what we thought.. coming out of the mini sandbar,... well it looked deep enough.. but noooooooooooooooooooo we f ucked up both props,... maybe it was the drinks I had..
    "oh yah honey ,, it's deep enough.. clank clank clank.. boy did I get an ass chewin all the way back to the channel.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

LHC30Victory
    thats what we thought.. coming out of the mini sandbar,... well it looked deep enough.. but noooooooooooooooooooo we f ucked up both props,...
    AND the transducer (the thingy that sends and receives the signal) is mounted at the BACK of the boat so by the time you are warned that there is shallow water...it's too late.

Mohavekid
    My boat does not have a stepped bottom, but my Humminbird depth finder works well all the way up to 65 MPH or so.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    AND the transducer (the thingy that sends and receives the signal) is mounted at the BACK of the boat so by the time you are warned that there is shallow water...it's too late.
    yep.. I found that out the hard way and the expensive way.. two props.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Tom Brown
    My boat does not have a stepped bottom, but my Humminbird depth finder works well all the way up to 65 MPH or so.
    Ditto. I picked up a Humminbird finder from Rex Marine and the only time it looses signal is when the lake is too deep. My hull is not stepped. The transducer is epoxied to the bottom of the bilge. I've never looked at anything but the water immediately ahead of my white knuckles when I'm going over 70 but I've never seen it loose signal because of speed.
    It's a 600' Max depth finder but it looses signal after 150'. That's probably because I'm shooting the transducer through my hull. I'm happy with the 150' range but if you go the through hull route, think about getting a better transducer.
    -- Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast