Thread: Boat crash north of Havasu

essexjet
    Man critically injured in boat crash
    By Gary Weiand
    Sunday, August 8, 2004 11:20 PM MDT
    A 35-year-old Tucson man was listed in critical condition Sunday at a Las Vegas hospital after he was badly injured in an early-morning boat crash on the Colorado River north of Lake Havasu City.
    Matthew Makovic suffered severe facial trauma when the vessel he was riding in ran ashore at a high rate of speed, according to a spokesman for the San Bernardino, Calif., Sheriff's Department.
    Sgt. Tim Smith said Makovic was one of four passengers in a vessel operated by Terrance J. Rath, 30, of Lake Havasu City. Both Rath and Makovic struck the console of the 2000 Allison Bass and Ski boat after it struck rocks and dirt on the California side of the river about 1.5 miles south of the Interstate 40 bridge.
    Rath, who Smith said suffered bad breaks to both arms, and Makovic were air evacuated to University Medical Center in Las Vegas. Rath was treated and released, a hospital spokesperson said Sunday afternoon.
    Smith said alcohol appears to have been a factor in the crash that took place about 12:30 a.m. as the boat was approaching Devil's Elbow. He said the vessel was apparently following the California shoreline at about 40 mph and failed to make a turn at a point where the land juts into the water.
    The boat came to rest about 10 feet onto shore, Smith said.
    The other three passengers, all from Tucson - Lisette Wells, 32, Thomas Harward, 36, and Elena Harward, 35 - suffered bruises, lacerations and a broken wrist. They were sent to Colorado River Medical Center in Needles, Calif., for treatment, he said.
    The passengers told sheriff's investigators that Rath's boat was operating without spotlights or floodlights, and that navigation lights were on and working.
    Smith said that charges would be considered upon results of the toxicology reports.
    >>>>>>>>>Another drinking and boating accident at night. Luckly nobody was killed this time.

RiverOtter
    Got any pics?

FunOnTheWater
    speeding through the water, drinking at night and alcohol all sounds like a bad mix to me

BarryMac
    speeding through the water, drinking at night and alcohol all sounds like a bad mix to me
    Ditto...
    gjb

Kilrtoy
    WOW, Things never change,
    Trust me I know this river everything will be ok.....

carbonmarine
    ...... and just think. One of these lil puppys would have kept everyone safe and sound.
    http://www.garmin.com/graphics/gpsmap182182CBig.jpg

Dr. Eagle
    That sucks... sounds like some people got pretty bunged up. Hope everyone is OK... :frown:

Kachina26
    ...... and just think. One of these lil puppys would have kept everyone safe and sound.
    http://www.garmin.com/graphics/gpsmap182182CBig.jpg
    I wouldn't trust one of those in a spot where there isn't much margin for error. No moon either, he was running that speed in total darkness. What an ass.

Dr. Eagle
    I wouldn't trust one of those in a spot where there isn't much margin for error. No moon either, he was running that speed in total darkness. What an ass.
    Yep, I'd be hard pressed to trust one of those in a canyon where accuracy of GPS can be compromised... in the dark... running at speed. Just not the brightest candle on the cake... eh?

Dr. Eagle
    ditto,i'll stay on the beach"SHIT FACED"
    Sounds like a plan...