Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Hawaiian & Tahiti the same hulls?

spectras only
    Tahiti,go to topic "new member" on jet forum,under spectras only I have the Southwind broshure pics,#21 pic shows the lineup of models.The 18 mini cruiser is a spectra design, which southwind bought the mold from spectra marine.

LS7
    Schuster 1/2 owned Tahiti with his brother, Schuster started TIKI while still at and with Tahiti, Lawsuit, Schuster left Tahiti and started Hawaiian.
    I know this because I own a "TIKI", built on "TAHITI" property. Bought it direct from Schuster, watched it being built and drove if off the "TAHITI" plant.
    LS_
    BTW Hawaiian is still in business as of late 1999 loacated in Corona, CA. Jerry, I believe runs the show and is still in contact with Schuster. He took pictures of my boat in 99 and said Schuster would be happy to see them.
    Just read OLDRIGGERS post he is spot on, damn I'm getting old, forgot all about BELL INDUSTRIES.
    [This message has been edited by LS7 (edited July 19, 2001).]

A rigger would install any thing mechanical, gauges, steering, pump, outdrive, engine,etc. Then he would run it out to make sure there are no leaks, steering rack isn't installed upside down (don't laugh, guys do it all the time. you don't want that. Turn left go right, turn right go left). A gel coater paints the mold after he, or someone else has taped the design into it. then it goes to the laminators, hopefuly doing his job by hand using a squegie and NOT a chopper gun. The parts are pulled from the molds and sent to the assemblers who install the deck to hull, put in the carpet( why they had us do this before the boat was rigged is beyond me, it's not done like that any more) and fuel tanks. Then to the rigger and then to detail guys who install the seats, bowrails and windshields.Thats how it was done at Tahiti and Hawaiian. Each shop is a little different. You can imagine the kaos when 9 boats a day are being put together. I've seen guys bond the wrong deck to a hull and have to cut it off and start over. Seen guys installing seats in a boat that was a rush job (they all are) and they ran long lags through the seat frame, through the bottom of the boat and to the trailer bunk pads. The owner couldn'nt figure out why he couldn't launch his boat!!!' Not a happy camper on Monday morning, when he drove all the way back from where ever he went on vacation, and was waiting in front of the shop. And don't think any of the shops are better than any others. I have a friend whose Schiada v-drive was being brought home from a show in Vegas and the guys forgot to tie the thing down and dumped it in the middle of the desert. The kicker is they didn't know they had lost it until they got all the way back to the shop. Had to turn around and go find it. None of the shops, no matter what they tell you, are quite what they want you to think they are. They are only human.

77_Tahiti
    So what the hell happened with Tahiti or Bell Industries? This industry is worse than those darn soap operas! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif

LS7, as far as I know Schuster was sole owner. Sold Tahiti in the late 60's to Bell for a cool Million. A lot of money back then. Plus he still owned the property and stayed on a president. Jerry Groom fled to New York when Hawaiian went belly up. Maybe you met his brother Joe. The Team Hawaiian of today is not connected to the old Hawaiian boats. I think Dick passed away last year but I am not 100% sure. He had a bad car wreck years ago and was in bad health. Hope hes still kickin'.

77 tahiti, Bell sold Tahiti to Hardin Marine. They went belly up a few years ago, at least the boat building part but might still be involved with Sea Ray in some way. This business is truly a whores market.

77_Tahiti
    Old Rigger,
    Thanks for the industry insight, sounds like you have a few stories to tell. I was laughing about bolting the boat to the trailer, hell I bet the owner was laughing that evening while drinking some Jack!

RiverToysJas
    Wayne King owns Team Hawaiian and although it's technically a new company, Wayne claims to have been with the company in the 70s. That's what I remember him telling me anyway.

He would need a lot of Jack!
    When I was just a kid, 'bout 13 I was at the Tahiti shop after school and the gelcoater at that time was a guy that never wore shoes and sprayed the molds like that AND he never wor a mask of any kind. His lungs must be hard as a rock now from all that gelcoat. Any way, when he would finish his work he would go to the wash area and use this super strong soap stuff of his own mixture to clean his face,hair and feet.Some of the older guys ,my Dad included, handed me a thing of Nair hair remover and bet me 5 bucks that I wouldn't mix it in with his soap. I did and his hair came out of his head in big bloches. This was about 1969 and long hair was really cool to have, man was he pissed off. He never did find out who did it.

River toy,
    I never met a Wayne King at Hawaiian and I worked there the entire time they had there doors open, but my mind has been failing for a long time so who knows.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast