Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a virus if...

Outnumbered
    Do I have a virus if I have 5 svchost.exe running at the same time? One is 24,000k . Some of my programs are erroring due to running out of RAM. I am running XP with 512K RAM.
    I just ran spybot and purged the system of about 80 spyware files but I still have 5 svchosts running. I also have DSO in the spyware that will not remove with spybot or it just keeps comming back.
    WTF???
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    OL

Boozer
    Sounds like you do have a virus. Go download Norton from Downloads.com. you can try it for free for 30 days i believe.

Wakker
    I had the same virus.. it was running multiple svchost.exe's and another deal called explored.exe.. I never payed attention to explored.exe since it looked like explorer.exe or iexplore.exe

ROZ
    I had various problems spybot didn't get rid of.. I fdisked and rebooted. I now use Mozilla Firefoxinstead of IE and have yet to have a single problem. Haven't had a single popup either... I have seen the light!

Bense468
    Are you using spybot search and destroy?
    There is an option to run spyboat after reboot. I had the same problem with the DSO spywear, not deleting or coming right back. I had to work it in conjunction with Norton to rid the problem. Run that spyboat, then run the spyboat after re-boot. Run norton, then run spyboat again after reboot. Problem has been fixed and PC is running smooth again.
    Roz yeah Mozilla is nice, I don't run it on my home PC though. Probably should try it out in home enviroment.

bigq
    I had various problems spybot didn't get rid of.. I fdisked and rebooted. I now use Mozilla Firefoxinstead of IE and have yet to have a single problem. Haven't had a single popup either... I have seen the light!
    Mozilla is the shits now all ya need is to switch from Windows to a nice Linux OS.

bigq
    Do I have a virus if I have 5 svchost.exe running at the same time? One is 24,000k . Some of my programs are erroring due to running out of RAM. I am running XP with 512K RAM.
    I just ran spybot and purged the system of about 80 spyware files but I still have 5 svchosts running. I also have DSO in the spyware that will not remove with spybot or it just keeps comming back.
    WTF???
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    OL
    You could have svchost running more then once. Some application need it to function along with some viruses. If you know how you can run regedit and go to this hive:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost
    it will tell you the app groups running it dependent.

ROZ
    Are you using spybot search and destroy?
    There is an option to run spyboat after reboot. I had the same problem with the DSO spywear, not deleting or coming right back. I had to work it in conjunction with Norton to rid the problem. Run that spyboat, then run the spyboat after re-boot. Run norton, then run spyboat again after reboot. Problem has been fixed and PC is running smooth again.
    Roz yeah Mozilla is nice, I don't run it on my home PC though. Probably should try it out in home enviroment.
    I use it on the home computer. It really rocks!

Bense468
    I run it on a linux box at work. I might just build a linux box for home.

Outnumbered
    Thanks for the help. I'm running spybot search and destroy but not Norton. I need to get a copy and give it a try.
    How do you pick these viruses up? I NEVER open attachments unless they are work files. Can these things piggyback on PDFs, DOCs or other work related files?
    OL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast