Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Trident Boats Engine #1

Infomaniac
    Thanks Chris,
    Will be getting with you guys right away for oil pan, valve covers and timing cover.
    Gen V timing covers have a few more bolts to hold it on and oil in.

Schiada76
    Info,
    Did you mill off that POS timimg marker on the cast cover to put an accurate pointer on? If so what pointer did you use?

Infomaniac
    We don't have a cover yet.
    I have an ATI superdamper and billet adjustable pointer for when we do get a cover.
    The HP500's that I made 540's recently had stock pointers and they checked dead on with the degree wheel. Had an aftermarket balancer though.

Hotcrusader76
    First off I would like to say congratulations on selecting a clean and reliable set-up with the best parts the industry has to offer. It's obvious to the end-user that no leaf was left unturned in engineering such a bullet proof engine. Can't wait to see the numbers. But this leads me to the next question...
    Objectively speaking, some of these components seem overkill for the 700HP (boost) goal? It just seems to me we're taking down a small deer with a 40mm canon when a .223 would do the job. No?...
    I completely understand that's it's longevity and reliability we're after but could there be some cost savings on the overall project's budget with items like 10' steel retainers vice titanium? Of course the valvetrain's harmonics and inertia of the components will love the titanium vice the steel and I do understand titanium is also the latest and greatest but wouldn't steel do the job for 700HP on a roller cam with moderate lift, again set-up for moderate boost? Does the cost of the titanium component sort of over-qaulify it's position for the already well designed system? Retail, were talking nearly a $100-150 difference or did Edelbrock send these with the heads?
    I understand Wes always chooses top-notch stuff and never skimps on the finer details but in the end it's the client who can or can't afford the package that matters...No? What's your take on that?
    Just curious that's all...

GofastRacer
    Sounds like a perfect combo to me!...I think this explains it!.
    " "Froggystyle" from Trident requested between 650 and 700 HP as the base model OEM engine. The engine will actually be built for 900+ HP. This will allow a HP upgrade without being concerned with the engine's ability to handle it. Pistons, rods, head gaskets, cylinder heads, camshaft etc. will all be there if more power is wanted when the warranty period is up. Or up front with no warranty. Disclaimer Will have to speak with Trident for details. A blower pulley change and computer re-program and a few hundred additional HP is there."

Infomaniac
    Ty - Good discussion is always welcome.
    Valve springs are the first component to go away - loose their service life. Anything that can be done to extend that service life will be a plus to the buyer.
    Titanium retainers were only $54.99 Edelbrock Marine heads come without springs, retainers and locks. $1,495.00 at most mail order places.
    Edit: You would be suprised how inexpensive that engine package would be to purchase outright.
    The same engine with a BDS 8-71, chiller and 2 custom carbs would run a tad over 18K. Same for a single carb whipple system.
    My point being, there is no additional cost passed on to the consumer. My quote compared to a stock deal from the largest supplier of marine engines (no name).

Froggystyle
    Great pics Ron!
    Lots of great stuff going into this motor. Each has a well thought out reason for it. With regards to "overkill" parts on a Trident... we all better just get used to it.
    The price is not the primary factor in anything we are doing. If there was any consideration that it might be, you haven't been by the shop in a while. We have chosen the very best products available, that combine quality with the ability to deliver lots of product. Supply issues are not something I look forward to. One of the only caveats I gave to Ron was that it be significantly under-rated as delivered. There is nothing worse to me than buying something that cannot be easily squeezed for more performance. If you have a supercharger stock, you shouldn't have to chage valve springs to add boost. You shouldn't have to change out the pistons to higher quality ones so you don't smoke them, and you shouldn't have to get better rods. These components are designed to run over 900 horsepower for a long time. We will be de-tuning the boat to run 70 flat stock. We encourage people to be happy with 70 with a warrantied motor. This will put the Trident owner in elite company as far as stock deck boats, but we feel confident that with a little over 250 hp on tap, there will be some people that make the factory tested and tuned mods (at the expense of the motor warranty) and go beat up some outdrives...
    With respect to the Ti retainers, that was a great call on Ron's part. I will say that I specified that we use 10 degree locks. It was one of very, very few items on this motor that I spec'ed out myself. I have had failures with lesser retainers, and it cost me a head. There are not a whole lot of lessons that I have paid for in the past that were not attended to in grand detail on the Revolution motor. All who remember the harmonic balancer coming apart on me last year will recognize an ATI dampner on this one, and lots of other goodies along the same lines.
    I am pretty confident that Ron has applied his significant and relevant experience to the design as well.
    To those who don't know, I gave Ron essentially carte blanche. He worked out flow details with the supercharger manufacturer, as well as gleaning their experience on building the motor. His proposal to me was detailed, and really showed the amount of thought that went into the actual design of the engine and components. This is a true system, and I left no part out of his reach with regard to durability, safety and longevity. I don't think there is a whole lot of better people I could have used to get this motor built, or anyone who uses more care and progressive assembly. We are very proud to have Ron on board, and cannot wait to give this new motor a spin.

HavasuDreamin'
    Very cool and informative thread.

Freak
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Ty - Good discussion is always welcome.
    Valve springs are the first component to go away - loose their service life. Anything that can be done to extend that service life will be a plus to the buyer.
    Titanium retainers were only $54.99 Edelbrock Marine heads come without springs, retainers and locks. $1,495.00 at most mail order places.
    Edit: You would be suprised how inexpensive that engine package would be to purchase outright.
    The same engine with a BDS 8-71, chiller and 2 custom carbs would run a tad over 18K. Same for a single carb whipple system.
    My point being, there is no additional cost passed on to the consumer. My quote compared to a stock deal from the largest supplier of marine engines (no name).
    Info is that $ replacement or drop in?????

Infomaniac
    That is a repacement engine, fuel and iginition system running engine.
    No accessories or exhaust.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast