Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Trident Boats Engine #1

Infomaniac
    Roz - looks like it will be twins
    Two delivered next month. But to Dustin Whipple for some serious thrashing.
    Dustin will dial in the EFI. Want to get some tune ups at several different power settings.

Froggystyle
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Want to get some tune ups at several different power settings.
    ...and altitudes!
    We are going to be doing a tune that works with total efficiency at Tahoe/Powell etc... Increased pulley to bring up the same boost number and a re-curved fuel delivery to accomodate the higher altitude.
    I can't wait... Full power at Tahoe? Who'd of thunk?

Hotcrusader76
    So I assume this is going to be a closed loop system? Which means the boat needs to be tuned for the altitude it's destined for, correct?
    ....again assuming this will not have the O2 sensors and MAF?

DogHouse
    Originally posted by flat broke
    Brian,
    What's your max RPM? A lot of time seat pressures are based off of setups that run much higher RPMs than our boats. Think about what you would shift that motor at in a car... Because we don't spin em as high, we also don't need as much tension to keep em in check at the RPMs we're never going to see. Perhaps a lower spring rate, or taller installed height to drop the seated pressure so that there isn't as much strain at low RPM when there is little oil floating around to lube that stuff. I think you use Peto, so talk to him and see what he thinks.
    BTW, if you do go hydrualic, you're going to have to lower your spring rates anyways. Then you have to ask about the ramp profile of your stick to see how gentle it would be with the hydraulic rollers.
    Sorry to hear about your motor. With all the problems you had last year, it sucks to see you start off the same way this year. Hopefully you can get it ironed out soon and enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Chris
    Chris, max rpm I've seen on the lake is about 6200. We dyno'd to 6500. The cam has very agressive ramps so I think that's why the stout springs were spec'd.
    I've got the motor out and torn down to the block with rotating assembly. Not much damage so far. Lifter bores look good. As far as I can tell, the link bar snapped on #1. The exhaust lifter rotated 90 deg and wore a big flat spot in the roller, but the roller is intact and still spins smoothly on the bearing. The intake lifter was still straight and lined up, not much damage. Half of the link bar was sitting in the lifter valley, and the other half made its way down to the pan and ripped a piece of the windage tray off on the way. The cam is hurt but not as bad as I expected. With some luck, there's enough meat left in the billet to regrind into a hydraulic roller profile. I'll pull the crank out tonight and check all the bearings and bores. With a little luck, I'll clean it up and reassemble with new valvetrane (yes softer springs!!!) and bearings and not spend too much moola.
    -brian

DogHouse
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    The best hyd. roller is the Morel piece. These are the guys that solved the fuel teams problems with eating lifters on the exhast side and replacing the existing brand lifters ever other pass. The Morels will go a season. They introduced a hyd. roller 2 years ago with improved valving, fully machined body, and stiffer spring for more rpm.
    Info looks good.
    Chris
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. Shubeck has some interesting stuff too, but I haven't heard any first hand reports on the reliability, and it's expensive stuff to experiment with!
    Does Morel have a websight? I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.
    Thanks,
    -brian

Froggystyle
    Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
    ....again assuming this will not have the O2 sensors and MAF?
    You would be assuming incorrectly.
    We got some new stuff going on in that department.

Jordy
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    That's why you don't make assumptions...

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by Froggystyle
    We got some new stuff going on in that department.
    It's my understanding that if you have the necessary feedback sensors, ie: O2 and MAF/MAP than you wouldn't need to remap the fuel curves for different altitudes and it is therefore not a closed loop system...correct? I wasn't clear of Trident's approach on this.
    The MAF sensor will be able to sense the correct ambient air pressures, temps, and velocities, which then chooses an appropriate fuel curve, already preprogrammed into the ECU. What new things are going on there other than making it work with boost?
    It will also be interesting to see how the O2 sensor is incorporated into all of this as well. What sort of things are the boyz @ Bassani brewing up? Of course being vague what's the scoop?
    I understand there's some interest in keeping the same boost figures at higher altitudes which ironically isn't new either but doing it electronically seems to spice things up a bit I suppose. The NHRA and IHRA guys have always had problems running in Colorado because of this no matter what they did with their boost, from Pro mod up to Top Fuel, but then again they were mechanical injected set-ups.
    Sounds like Whipple may be "whipping" something up good. Can't wait to see the results.
    Rock on...
    ~Ty

flat broke
    Originally posted by DogHouse
    Chris, max rpm I've seen on the lake is about 6200. We dyno'd to 6500. The cam has very agressive ramps so I think that's why the stout springs were spec'd.
    I've got the motor out and torn down to the block with rotating assembly. Not much damage so far. Lifter bores look good. As far as I can tell, the link bar snapped on #1. The exhaust lifter rotated 90 deg and wore a big flat spot in the roller, but the roller is intact and still spins smoothly on the bearing. The intake lifter was still straight and lined up, not much damage. Half of the link bar was sitting in the lifter valley, and the other half made its way down to the pan and ripped a piece of the windage tray off on the way. The cam is hurt but not as bad as I expected. With some luck, there's enough meat left in the billet to regrind into a hydraulic roller profile. I'll pull the crank out tonight and check all the bearings and bores. With a little luck, I'll clean it up and reassemble with new valvetrane (yes softer springs!!!) and bearings and not spend too much moola.
    -brian
    Sorry to keep hijackin Info and Froggy's thread.
    Glad to hear the damage isn't too bad. Good luck getting her back together and enjoying the summer.
    Chris

flat broke
    Oh yeah, and BTW, in regard to the Powell and Tahoe dealy with the Trident motors, remember that you can't get 91 at the pump on Powell! So map that biatch accordingly
    Open loop would be a sweet way to go for the ultimate no fuss haul the bacon setup. Its cool to see a good amount of thought put into the design of the setup. Coming from my old QA background, its definitely a refreshing approach to see in the market I enjoy most.
    Froggy, is Trident going to hold on to the intellectuals of the system so that bolt on engine management systems would be marketed by an subsidary, or will you lave the pieces/parts to their respective vendors and stay out of the aftermarket aspect of it?
    Just curious,
    Chris

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast