Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two speed transmission?

I saw this add for a 25' Daytona w/ a #5 and a two speed B&M transmission.http://server1.offshoreonly.com/geoc...php?a=2&b=1503
    Have any of you guy's ever done this? If so how do the boats drive , shift,run,ect?
    Do they have a torque converter? How do you set up the tranny? Is there anything different or is it just a two speed powerglide? Sorry for all the questions, any info would be great.

powerplay230
    Few years back Hot Boat did a test on I think a 32' Sunsation with the 2spd tranny and Blackhawk drives, from what I remember the boat was a rocket considering its size and weight. Also seem to remember the transmission going the same way as the Blackhawk drive so parts would be tough..

I think that boat had the mercuiser Blacktrack transmission, what I am looking at is a two speed powerglide like in a dragster.

dorC
    I think that boat had the mercuiser Blacktrack transmission, what I am looking at is a two speed powerglide like in a dragster.
    Nitpicky, I know...but it was a blackmax.
    B&M built a bunch of those transes. They were based on the powerglide and I *believe* that they did not have a torque converter. I remember *hearing* that they were problematic at best.

powerplay230
    This was about 5-7 yrs ago, I am sure they tested a two speed trans now if it was in fact a B&M piece not 100% there but do remember them having two speeds and if I remember correctly they worked well. No idea on how they help up or how heavy but am sure parts are hard to get.

The trannys that mercruiser was testing were built in house. It was bolted in between the motor and a brovo drive,(brovo 1, brovo 3 or blackhawk) the transmission was a two speed box only, it had no reverse,and neutral. The brovo drive did all the work the blacktrack only shifted from first to second gear.
    What I am trying to do is use a powerglide to do the work neutral, reverse,first gear ,and second.

Gmoney
    At the last boat show I went to I saw speed sking boat with a shorty powerglide to a #3 drive. I don't know how it works but i can tell 100% its been done.

Prime 8780
    To answer your question of a 2 speed in front of a #5 drive,
    we have installed numerous transmissions/outdrive combinations.
    We currently have a customer running a turbo chevrolet with one
    of the B & M 2 speeds in his boat with no transmission problems
    whatsoever. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Mike @ Prime Marine
    909 484-8338
    mramirez@primemarineusa.com

wsuwrhr
    I can tell you that good 'glide is bulletproof.
    Brian

Gmoney
    To answer your question of a 2 speed in front of a #5 drive,
    we have installed numerous transmissions/outdrive combinations.
    We currently have a customer running a turbo chevrolet with one
    of the B & M 2 speeds in his boat with no transmission problems
    whatsoever. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Mike @ Prime Marine
    909 484-8338
    mramirez@primemarineusa.com
    Is there any down side using a car tranny(powerglide)campared to a marine tranny when hooked to a outdrive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast