Thread: Torque or HP????

Norseman
    Being new to boats, and really new to V Drive boats I'm looking for feedback on the type of motor to build.
    The boats an 18.5 foot Rayson Craft, front and rear seats. I have no idea as to the weight. I also have no idea of the current prop on the boat, but the Vdrive is a 1:1 Walters... Don't you just hate these newbe questions????
    I am assuming that WOT the engine will should be turning about 5500 rpm's, and that's were I want peak HP. Or do I want to set the engine up to run at a higher or lower rpm?
    What HP and torque is typical for a marine SBC in a V drive.
    I'm I supposed to build this thing for lots of torque and lower RPM like a truck motor or high rpms and HP like I do for the street cars???
    I know it's easier to make both HP and torque with more cubes, but right now I am leaning towards putting a small block chevy in this thing.. I think it will be easier because I get the marine stuff with the motors.....
    Thanks and sorry about all the basic questions...
    Bob

RandyH
    You might try to do a search for HP vs. Torque. Just make sure your not on a dial up modem.
    RandyH

copperrat20
    If it's just for a little flatty then go for hp. What you don't have in torque you can make up for in props or gear changes.

UBFJ #454
    No Tq'ie, No Hp'ee ... Hp is purely a calculated # based solely on the Tq a motor produces.

Maxey
    Being new to boats, and really new to V Drive boats I'm looking for feedback on the type of motor to build.
    The boats an 18.5 foot Rayson Craft, front and rear seats. I have no idea as to the weight. I also have no idea of the current prop on the boat, but the Vdrive is a 1:1 Walters... Don't you just hate these newbe questions????
    I am assuming that WOT the engine will should be turning about 5500 rpm's, and that's were I want peak HP. Or do I want to set the engine up to run at a higher or lower rpm?
    What HP and torque is typical for a marine SBC in a V drive.
    I'm I supposed to build this thing for lots of torque and lower RPM like a truck motor or high rpms and HP like I do for the street cars???
    I know it's easier to make both HP and torque with more cubes, but right now I am leaning towards putting a small block chevy in this thing.. I think it will be easier because I get the marine stuff with the motors.....
    Thanks and sorry about all the basic questions...
    Bob
    Forget the SBC for your application and desired results. Boats need TORQUE!
    Build a BBC and you will be happy with the results. Just my .02 Have fun!

Norseman
    Maxey;
    Thanks but the reason for the SBC is I am picking up a pair of old Cabin Cruiser Marine engines and figure I can put one together for the Rayson quick.
    The engines are 300hp, I'm not sure what the compression, cam ect are. The blocks are 4 bolt mains.
    I also have a couple of small blocks in the garage, a nice 301 SB , but it was built for lots of RPM, and I doubt it would work well in the boat. And a pretty strong 350 that might be what ends up in the boat. It ran mid 11's in a 67 Chevelle. The only thing missing is the 2 4 crossram I used on the car, but I've got a couple of inline 42 4's that could be put on it, and a couple of single 4 intakes.
    So I figure between the marine stuff on the cabin cruiser engines and the SBC stuff I have I should be set for a motor. IF the Cabin Cruiser marine stuff will work. If not I'll have to buy the marine mounts and exhaust stuff. If that's the case then maybe more cubes would be better.........
    Also the boat will be a recreational boat for pulling the kids around and cruising with the family, not for high speed runs..
    So the small block should give me enough get up and go....
    Thanks;
    Bob