Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing painted on hull numbers...what worked for me, with pics.

Desert Rat
    Where are the pics????

franky
    Easy Off and a credit card works great. One coat and a swipe with the credit card. Second coat and a rag. Done. You have to mask it off and use plastic (trash bag works fine) to keep it where you want it. Follow up with a wet rag. The lettering guy told me about it and I have done it a couple of times.

Mandelon
    I was worried about damaging the gel and decided to play it safe. I read here that the Easy Off could damage the fiberglass if left on too long......maybe that's wrong, but I didn't want to find out on my boat....

Mandelon
    Well there you have it folks. An effective alternative method.
    Easy-Off oven cleaner and a plastic scraper like a credit card. Keep a few shop towels ready to wipe off the melting paint and to clean up any extra dribbles, be careful not to get the overspray around or on your seats, and wear eye and hand protection. I'd say to wax around the area to make sure its well protected before and after.....and maybe do it outside so you get plenty of fresh air.

BarryMac
    Did you end up getting the new CF numbers airbrushed on? I am yet to pull the trigger, that may end up being a good winter project...
    gjb

Mandelon
    No not yet, too busy to drop it off......

Kilrtoy
    My boat needs to be detailed, Ill stop by in two weeks, Can you get it done in one day , PLEASE

Mandelon
    Sure, but can you take all the dildos out of it first....?

Mighty Thor
    Ok, I tried the Graffiti remover stuff and it took off the lettering allright, it also took the clearcoat off as well. No big deal, since I plan on repainting the clear anyhow. I suspect that any remover would have had the same effect since you can't remove paint without removing the paint too. Did that sound as dumb as I think?

Mandelon
    Your boat was painted and not gel? Oops. But I guess paint remover would pretty much remove the paint....whether it was clear or numbers....Good Warning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast