Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small blocks in jet boats

future boater
    i always heard that was a bad idea... ist it true? something about that they didnt develop the torque that was needed...

Hallett of a Dream
    Horsepower is good, but torque will keep the motor pushing out the nozzle. Torque monsters are the way to go.

Old Charger
    I'll spill out some numbers on my jalopy...
    '77 21' mini daycruiser. WORN Jacuzzi YJ/B. Small block 350 Olds. Approx. 220 hp. Max speed is 48 mph on the GPS with 4 people and full tanks. I can't stop thinking what'd it do with a 454...

rmclague
    19' shallow-v bottom hull
    made by sundown marine
    12j-c and 350 olds
    super hole shot!
    one of the Quickest
    Topspeed just under 60mph
    this is a very under built motor with a single 600cfm edelbrock on a street dominator intake.
    not to bad
    Rob

Terrible Buddhist
    I would say it is more a function of the weight of your boat than anything else...those australian jet racers can go with small blocks because the boats don't weigh anything, and they just wind the crap out of them...put one of those motors in my boat and it will get beat by most party barges.

beached1
    I don't know much about it but my neighbor owns a machine and speed shop. To quote him, "Horsepower is good, but there's no substitute for CU's."

Jeff
    I think that Terrible Buddhist said it best. Weight is a killer for a small block. I had a 350 chevy in my '19ftr. B impeller pushing 3800lbs @ 48-52mph. 4300 rpm's. Just not enough torque. I replaced the 350 with ZZ502 big big diferance. I think a built 350 with a 1300lb boat would make an extremly fun boat to drive tho and compete against the big blocks on saturday afteernoon beer drags.
    Jeff

rmclague
    When My thrust bearing went out it pushed the impellor into the wear ring, blocked off the port that sent water to the motor, it over heated and fried a main.
    So my small block olds was toast.
    I really always said I would go back with a 455, but I started looking at posts on this board an guys were claiming 55, 60, 62 mph
    out of their big blocks.
    Shoot I was getting that out of wy ols small block.
    Point is I think that if you are set up for it correctly, And are not floating around in a cabincruiser you can really get some good numbers out of a small block.
    I know that they put out alot of rpm/torque early in the curve and that translates into a hell of a holeshot and that is were races are won!
    I,m gonna stay with the mouse motor for now
    rob

SCOTT
    Dont sell those small blocks short! I seen a cat from the river go 8:03 with a small block jet at ming a few years ago.I couldnt beleve it myself.Ask sandman about small blocks.He runs pretty good!

future boater
    you mean "there is no replacement for displacement."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast