Thread: 455 Starting ?

Taylorman
    I posted this question before and im still at a loss. My 455 takes forever to start when its cold. It took about 10 minutes to get it started last night. when it finally cranked and warmed up, it would crank back up right away. It runs ok so obviously it has fire and fuel. I can't figure out whey its doing this. I run a tunnel ram, complete msd ignition system, and dual carbs. Any suggestions?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...P_3938-med.JPG

v-drive
    Mine always starts hard to the first time then it just moves on. I think it's an olds thing. :coffeycup v-drive

GofastRacer
    Sorry but wether it's an Olds, Chevy, Ford, Mopar or whatever, it's a V8 piston engine and neither one know what they are!.."obviously it has fire and fuel". But how much fuel and fire???. What do you have for an ignition system???. What is it putting out while cranking??. Did you check to see if you are squirting fuel when cold???. You say it took 10 minutes to fire it up, sounds like the bowls are dry and it took that long to pump fuel into the bowls so the accelarator pump could squirt fuel into the motor!..When it's cold, before you try and start it, look down in the carb as you pump it and see if there is fuel coming out the shooters, if you have fuel then look at the ignition!... :smile:

Sorry but wether it's an Olds, Chevy, Ford, Mopar or whatever, it's a V8 piston engine and neither one know what they are!.."obviously it has fire and fuel". But how much fuel and fire???. What do you have for an ignition system???. What is it putting out while cranking??. Did you check to see if you are squirting fuel when cold???. You say it took 10 minutes to fire it up, sounds like the bowls are dry and it took that long to pump fuel into the bowls so the accelarator pump could squirt fuel into the motor!..When it's cold, before you try and start it, look down in the carb as you pump it and see if there is fuel coming out the shooters, if you have fuel then look at the ignition!... :smile:Hey Art...sounds like another pitch for injection.....

GofastRacer
    Hey Art...sounds like another pitch for injection.....
    Shhhhhhhhh!.

Wet Dream
    I would have to agree with GFR. Have you tried squirting a little gas down the carbs? Just a squirt'll do ya. If it fires and runs for a second or two then coughs it way to silence, thats most likely it. It could be that your fuel system is syphoning the fuel out of the carbs? Or making the fuel level low enough that pressure isn't high enough to flow into the venturis? Cranking on the thing for 10 minutes has go to be hell on the starting system, and the ego. Sitting in the water, boat still on the trailer, people watching and waiting for the darn thing to start. Right hand turning the key, right foot pumping the throttle, left hand on the forehead and " Come on baby" mumbling out of your mouth.

travis hathaway
    Taylorman, nice boat and roost. Have you found the cause of the slow starts? I am running an olds with a torker and 4779 Holly and before going to an HEI, she was difficult to start. The HEI starts instantly. Your MSD should do the same as far as ignition. I am using an electric fuel pump which also helps. If you discover the problem, inquiring minds want to know.

Taylorman
    I think im just not putting enough gas in it. My dad and i were working on it Sat and he pumped the gas about 10 times and it fired right up. I guess im just not pumping enough into it cause i did not want to flood it.