Thread: Mechanical flat tappet cam VS Hydraulic ??

baddassbaron
    Any benefit or not with a mechanical flat tappet cam vs hydraulic type setup ??

460rogers
    Do you enjoy adjusting valves?

Bob Hostetter
    The mechanical lefter cam has the potential to make more power and will rev higher. However it requires you to adjust the valve lash on a regular basis.

baddassbaron
    460Rogers / Bob
    Wont be running over 5400 rpms with this motor
    Thankx for the info !

GofastRacer
    Solid lifter cams allow for more aggresive profiles and will rev higher than a hydraulic cam!. As far as adjusting valves goes, put a stud girdle on it and adjusters cannot move!...

DUECE'SDAD
    I have ran solid lift in everything including my last boat, but i finally realized that on i stock/ mild motor you arent going to turn mor than 6000 rpm on your very best day unless you jump outta the water and overrev, so i put a hydraulic and a 6000 rev limiter pill in the ignition and check the valves about twice a year instead of every third time at the lake. I am big into maintance, as i do a compression test everytime i get home from the lake and i have had this motor together in my hydro for almost two years now, and as soon as i build a blower motor it will still be good for my straight axle 66 nova

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Solid lifter cams allow for more aggresive profiles and will rev higher than a hydraulic cam!. As far as adjusting valves goes, put a stud girdle on it and adjusters cannot move!...
    If you run a stud girdle, how often to you have to set valve lash. I am going to be running a solid cam pretty soon. just curious

RandyH
    If you run a stud girdle, how often to you have to set valve lash. I am going to be running a solid cam pretty soon. just curious
    Last year after my first warm up, I made some minor lash adjustments and it held all year. I checked it several times over the summer and they where dead on with the girdle. If its a new cam you may want to check them several times at first just to make sure your lobes are up. This year I just went to the Jomar girdle and that unit rocks. Much easier to install than the one piece designs. Jomar was recommended by several people here on the board. Needed some minor modifications with the IMCO tall Valve covers .
    Good Luck,
    RandyH

GofastRacer
    Once they're set you don't need to adjust them because the adjusters can't move, if they need to be adjusted then the cam is slowly going away!...I use Webster's they are the shit, slide them up with one hand, clamp them done deal, lash don't change!..What ever you do don't use the Jomar girdle with the U-Bolts, they are the worst pieces of shit ever made!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Girdle-med.jpg