Thread: Minor pop or backfire on start up.

blown428fe
    Minor pop or backfire on startup,Is that normal on a blower motor. Once the motor fires, shes fine? Thanks for any help.

Infomaniac
    Mainy when cold?
    Too much inital timing? Try and pump the throttle 2 times cold and once hot before cranking to correct a lean idle. Not wide open pumps, just quick pumps.

paradigm shift
    Not sure when you get the back fire or pop but I know mine when it is cold and starts to die I have found it better to just let it die or shut it off and give it a couple of pumps (short) and restart. Once it gets a little heat in it it is fine. I always start mine with throttle CLOSED and as soon as it fires bring it up to 1800 or so until it builds some heat. If it starts to die and I try and pump it to keep it running it will sneeze every time.

blown428fe
    Thanks for the help, got the starting thing down mint now.One more ?, how tight or loose should the belt be and is it normal for the belt to hang off the front of the pulley on the blower 3\16 of an inch? Thanks for any help, this is my first blower motor.

Fiat48
    About 1 inch of play in the middle of the belt when the motor is WARM. And no...no overhang of belt on pulleys. Your alignment of pulleys is not right. Do what you have to for pulleys to line up staright and idler to be straight. Even if it means making spacers to do so. And many times it does.
    Pulleys are cut straight. Idlers are generally crowned to keep pulley in the middle of the idler.
    Blowers do not like "sneezing" of any kind.

Bob Hostetter
    Any pop or backfire on a blower motor is a bad thing. You didn't say if it has carbs or injectors.
    If it has carbs give it a couple of pumps before hitting the starter. If it is injected, very slightly crack the butterflies and hold them steady during the starting process. Try not to move the butterflies until it warms up. If it is a mech injector system use a priming bottle or system. If it starts to die, let it and start the process over again.
    Also as mentioned before make sure you have the right intial timing setting. The belts should not have any over hang on the pulleys. Depending on your set up you should have about 3/4 to 1" on movement in the middle of the belt when the engine is completely warmed up.