Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaks or no breaks

socalmoney
    I have a 21' Eliminator Day Cruiser and was going threw they trailer a bit and was wondering if I even need to run breaks on it. I have a 98 Ford F150 and the trailer has drum breaks. They haven't been working for years. Is there any reason why I couldn't just remove all the shoes and button the thing back up? Is this even considered amongst others? Are there legal reasons why I shouldn't do this? Opinions?
    Socalmoney

Kindsvater Flat
    If I had them I would fix them and make them work. Your boat isn't light and if they did work it would be easier on your truck brakes. All the 1/2 ton truck brakes suck. They are to light duty. Fix the brakes.

socalmoney
    There was a RV shop in Lake Elsinore who had complete backing plates for 60 bucks. I went ahead a bought them. Cheap and quick. Next is the surge master cylinder. That should be fun.

GofastRacer
    Personally I would get rid of the surge dealio, they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, I would change over to electric!..

Kindsvater Flat
    Personally I would get rid of the surge dealio, they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, I would change over to electric!..
    Agree!! and don't forget the injection.

GofastRacer
    and don't forget the injection.
    But of course!..

franky
    Breaks Broke? Tuff BRAKE. Absolutely! Try an emergency stop with another 5,000 pounds behind you trying to push you right where you don't want to go.
    FIX EM!

HammerDown
    Yes to brakes...and my surge system from 1983 works perfect

celeb1
    In Illinois you must have them by law if your trailer weight is over 3000 lbs, probably a whole bunch of other states have the same law. Then you get into the liability issues if you get in an accident, just think of what the lawyers would do if they found out you removed your brakes.

chriscraftstinger222
    If anyone is in need of parts to rebuild the brakes on their trailer try Champion Trailers at www.championtrailers.com. They have it all and have great customer service. I purchased a complete kit with a new surge brake coupler, drums, backing plates, hard lines, flex lines, complete with fittings and mounting hardware for less than $400. And this stuff is designed for boat trailer use. I think if I were to do it again, I would pony up the extra few bucks for their disc brake kit as it is not that much more than the drum kit. By all means, fix your brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast