Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455-454 Conversion

Taylorman
    A couple questions for anyone who has gone from a 455 to a 454. Is the 454 physically larger than a 455? I have only about 2-3 inches between my back seat and the pulleys on the front of the crank. If a 454 is longer then i will have to modify the back seat to allow the 454 to fit. Also what about motor mounts. I have 3 point motor mounts not which work fine, do they have them for a 454?

napabob
    My boat was originally purchased with a 455 in 1975. It was replaced in 1978 by my father in-law with a 454 oval port 325 HP 8.25:1 engine (the Olds seized).
    The engine mounts for the 455 (in my boat) used two bolts horizontally on each side. The Chevrolet engine uses two sets of bolts each side vertically.
    The engine cover did not have to be altered (as far as I know) to accommodate the BBC.
    Jim Brock has some Chevy 4 point engine mounts for sale on his web page.
    http://members.aol.com/doug1yates/cyclone/webdoc3.htm

malcolm
    Hey bob
    I was going to ask you about your front mounts too! Any chance you could take a picture of them? I just got my Chevy bellhousing Friday and I was also curious if I could run some car mounts on the 454 and keep my 3 point setup?

BigJetDaddy
    Taylorman, I have a 78 Taylor SJ that came with a 454. The pulley on the balancer is about 1 1/4" from the back seat. It has the three point mounts. You shouldn't have to move the back seat at all. Actually it would be impossible to move the back seat forward in my Taylor, but I have the tank under the seat. If you have the side mounted tank and storage under the back seat, it may be possible, but I don't think you will need to move it.
    Good Luck
    bjd

napabob
    Hey bob
    I was going to ask you about your front mounts too! Any chance you could take a picture of them? I just got my Chevy bellhousing Friday and I was also curious if I could run some car mounts on the 454 and keep my 3 point setup?
    Malcolm,
    I'll take some images of the engine mounts for you and e-mail/post to/for you.
    I ran across the thread about free engine mounts and did not alert you, what are you looking for next?
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17635
    I sit in front of a computer all day and surf the sites during my breaks.

Taylorman
    Taylorman, I have a 78 Taylor SJ that came with a 454. The pulley on the balancer is about 1 1/4" from the back seat. It has the three point mounts. You shouldn't have to move the back seat at all. Actually it would be impossible to move the back seat forward in my Taylor, but I have the tank under the seat. If you have the side mounted tank and storage under the back seat, it may be possible, but I don't think you will need to move it.
    Good Luck
    bjd
    Hey post some pictures of that SJ. Thanks.

1HOTGMCJET
    Malcolm,
    I'll take some images of the engine mounts for you and e-mail/post to/for you.
    I ran across the thread about free engine mounts and did not alert you, what are you looking for next?
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17635
    I sit in front of a computer all day and surf the sites during my breaks.
    Hey bob - can you send those pics to me as well at HOT1GMCJET@aol.com? Thank you!

napabob
    Hey bob - can you send those pics to me as well at HOT1GMCJET@aol.com? Thank you!
    1HOTGMCJET
    Will do.

malcolm
    Does anyone know which car mounts they used for the Chevy side mounts? I found that '71 Cutlass mounts worked on the Olds.

napabob
    Does anyone know which car mounts they used for the Chevy side mounts? I found that '71 Cutlass mounts worked on the Olds.
    Malcolm,
    The engine mounts that are used on my boat engine are what they call torque limiters.
    Part numbers are listed as:
    M2283
    270-2283
    I have a new set of them. Shall I send them up with Aaron?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast