Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop selection help...

dmontzsta
    As some of you know the old Lavey sits with a bent prop, it still runs with no vibration but the prop is slowing the boat down. I talked to a board member who knows alot about my boat and props, he told me to go with a 11"x15" or 11.25"x15" two blade of course. But said to get some more advice about the trailing edge and the different cuts, because there is more to props than just pitch and diameter. Can anyone recommend a prop cut/edge? that would work well? Right now the boat has a mild built 390 FE but this winter, or as soon as the cash is available it will be getting a 390 stroked to a 445ci or 449ci (depending what bore size I go with) estimated 500hp + an additional 125 shot of nitrous, I would estimate 500hp all motor or 600hp w/ spray (turn key on pump gas). I would like to get the boat into the mid-high 80s, without hurting the hole shot. As far as I know the gear is a 18% it is the original top loader that came with the boat. I will be looking more into the box to find out exactly what gear it is before buying a prop. I would like to keep it around 18-20% I am not going for a speed record, just a fun lake toy.
    Thanks for reading and for any help you can provide.

mickeyfinn
    80's shouldn't be a problem for the new engine. May not get there with your current setup. Sounds like you need something in the 11 x 16 maybe even a 17 if you are spraying. Of course you can't get something for nothing so to get the most of the top end you have to give up some hole shot. If you want the nitrous to give you more top end you may want to consider 2 props $$$. For the nitrous to give you more on top you need to have the boat overpropped so that you can spin it up to full RPM's where you wouldn't be able to without the nitrous. For the blistering hole shot stick with a good 3 blade maybe an 11 x 15.

dmontzsta
    80's shouldn't be a problem for the new engine. May not get there with your current setup. Sounds like you need something in the 11 x 16 maybe even a 17 if you are spraying. Of course you can't get something for nothing so to get the most of the top end you have to give up some hole shot. If you want the nitrous to give you more top end you may want to consider 2 props $$$. For the nitrous to give you more on top you need to have the boat overpropped so that you can spin it up to full RPM's where you wouldn't be able to without the nitrous. For the blistering hole shot stick with a good 3 blade maybe an 11 x 15.
    Thanks for the info Mickey. Do you think 17 would be too much prop? and hurt the low end? I would like to hit 85mph QUICK ASAP! ya know! Do you know anything about prop cups? leading edge? or trailing edge? who is the prop master that can help me select the perfect prop? I dont know about buying two props, I really dont want to switch, I want to turn the key and have fun.

ColeTR1
    Call RBprops here is a link to the web site RBprops.com (http://www.rbprops.com/rr_special.html). Don't go over a 15 pich on you boat! Ask RB about the 11 1/2 x 15 river racer prop. Ron Braaksma (Madness) TFH purchased the late Tom Black's company "Precision Propeller".
    { RIVER RACER SPECIAL FLAT BOTTOM }
    The ultimate Propeller for weekend hot rodding!
    These props are manufactured to the same high standard, quality, and heat treating specs as their Drag Race counterparts, but with the River Rats budget in mind.
    $449.95 Available in all sizes from 11" - 12"

ACCEPTENCE
    Give Dallas a call.
    He's a nice guy and will be happy to help you out. He's been hand building props since the start of time. He knows his stuff. If he's not busy you'll learn alot just talking to him.
    MENKENS RACING PROPELLERS INC.
    (602) 278-0908
    I posted a pic of a the two brand new props I just picked up for my deal but have no idea where the pic is now. They are what your looking for.

dmontzsta
    Here is a noob question, how do I find out if I have a Left or Right hand prop? the current prop is worn down to nothing, I can barely make out the pitch.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Just look at it, if you still cant figure it out... :idea: take the boat down to the lake and get up to about 35 mph, then, (wearing a diving mask) lean over the side of the boat and stick your head in the water and see which way its turning. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
    You'll probably see it turning left hand especially if your distributor, timing cover, vibration damper and water pump are all at the back of your boat. :hammerhea
    Jerry :devil:

v-drive
    Just look at it, if you still cant figure it out... :idea: take the boat down to the lake and get up to about 35 mph, then, (wearing a diving) mask lean over the side of the boat and stick your head in the water and see which way its turning. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
    You'll probably see it turning left hand especially if your distributor, timing cover, vibration damper and water pump are all at the back of your boat. :hammerhea
    You're bad, but I'm laughin :wink: biggrin: v-drive

dmontzsta
    Just look at it, if you still cant figure it out... :idea: take the boat down to the lake and get up to about 35 mph, then, (wearing a diving mask) lean over the side of the boat and stick your head in the water and see which way its turning. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
    I will do that, but I will wear a snorkle as well cause it will take me a bit of time under there staring at it.
    Or, I could put it in gear and spin it dry really quick.

dmontzsta
    Ok, I had my GF press the start button really quick and I stood behind and looking at the prop from the rear of the boat, it spins counter-clockwise, does that mean left hand prop? or do you go by looking at it from the front? I looked really close and could make out the prop that is on there it is a 12x17 the previous owner had a blown BBC in it, but put back the original FE before selling it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast