Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Gaffrig, or not to gaffrig...

DickDanger
    Okay guys, next question. I am looking at replacing the gauges in my boat, as the tach and fule gauge are just plain giving up the ghost (not the sending units). So, who makes the most reliable and best looking gauges? I have looked at the Gaffrig/Livorosi? websites, but wonder if there are other products that I should check before dropping any $$$. Thanks to all you tech guys, you are hooking the new guy up with solid info!!! -Danger out

spectras only
    DD,VDO is another good make ,pricey also.Mercruiser has a new line of gauges with [cheaper than the others]domed lenses and black or white faces.They look nice with colour keyed bezels

skijake
    After frying an engine because of bad gauges I just upgraded all my gauges.
    I installed Gaffrig/livorosi monster gauges except for the speedo and the tach.
    I was going to install the same Gaffrig/livorosi speedo (GPS) and tach, but luckly talked with someone at CP Performance and they alightend me to the other Gaffrig gauges.
    Don't know the whole story but seems that Livorosi and one of the main people from Gaffrig have been in court over the name. CP has a fax they can send you but the way it sounds to me in the near future Livorosi will be dropping the Gaffrig name.
    He also pointed out that Livorosi does not manufacture any of their gauges but farms them out, autometer makes alot of them.
    One thing that I found out about the GPS speedo's is the Livorosi only update once a second and Gaffrig updates 7 times a second giving a smoother needle flow.
    The Livorosi gauge will only go a given span so if you get a 80 mph gauge it goes from 5-80 mph but it you get a 100 mph gauge it goes from somewhere around 10-100 mph and if you get a 120 mph gauge it starts at 30mph. not sure of the span but close to that. The Gaffrig's will start at 0 and go to what ever speed you want, 80,100 or 120.
    Also the Gaffrig can be had in digital if you wish.
    I bought the Gaffrig Performance Speedo and tach. They are made in America also.
    Should be getting them Monday.
    I still think that Gaffrig/Livorosi makes a quality product, just sounds like Gaffrig Performance is something to check out.

froggystyle
    I agree with you SkiJake except for one thing. I have had nothing but luck with Auto Meter gauges in my race cars / boats in the past. Gaffrig by Livorsi may be a name infringement from however long ago, but the fact is this... Livorsi delivers product in one day, has phenomenal quality, MUCH larger selection, and truly helpful personnel. My personal opinion is that they should drop the name Gaffrig, on account of they don't need another name to convince us. I think that if they did swipe the name because of some old deal, that sucks and they should give it back, but I will say this... There is nothing wrong with the Livorsi Marine name.
    I just bought another set of gauges for my new boat from them, and I am so stoked with them. BTW, I believe Kevin Spaise (Hot Boat editor) did too.
    If you do decide on Livorsi, talk to "Wags", their head salesman. He is very knowledgeable, and makes it happen that day.
    Another thing is, don't be fooled by advertised sampling rates. A sampling rate on the indicator is only as fast as the GPS unit itself is sampling. If they are selling a 7 times per second sampling GPS, then that would make a difference, but most GPS's update at 3 times per second in the "3D fast" mode. This mode was designed to track aircraft. Odds are really good that we boaters don't need anything faster than that. I think that the dial (or readout) is merely an extension of the GPS unit, and is not "sampling" per se. Also keep in mind that unless you are hard wiring the GPS unit, the faster it samples, the faster it kills the battery, and it is an exponential curve guys. A set of batts can last 4 days, or 4 hours, depending on the update speed. (sampling)
    BTW, check out "Nordskog" too. They make some great gauges with great features. I just don't care for the styling. Plus they are way spendy.
    My .02

jroos
    I was on a tight budget building my boat and went with Medallion gauges(white face and bezel). I shot the boat white and the color matched perfectly. I know they are not the best but have not run into any problems. They look like expensive ones and work well. Ronnie Sporl of Sporl Racing Enterprises turned me on to them. He Knew my budget and suggested them. You can reach him at 504-279-8711. He builds some pretty awsome stuff there, not what the normal working stiff like myself can afford. You`d probably love to see the stuff in his shop. I do! Just to fantasize about how life could be. If I won the Lotto.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by jroos:
    I was on a tight budget building my boat and went with Medallion gauges(...but have not run into any problems. They look like expensive ones and work well.
    Me too. Genuine imitation Gaffrig gauges. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy11.gif
    Mine look & work great. I got mine from Eddie Marine with fusion-coated bezels. Sweet! However, I heard a rumor that Medallion is getting out of the consumer business, to focus on industrial applications.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

rivercrazy
    I would pass on Faria Gauges. I have 285 hours on my boat and they are starting to become unreliable. The RPM gauge fluctuates and sometimes reads to high.

spectras only
    Faria makes good gauges for the army http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif,but their consumer product is mediocre.They made for Bayliners,Maxxums etc...

rivercrazy
    Its unfortunate. Even many custom manufacturers use them.

kingb36
    Just got my catalog from Gaffrig yesterday(I requsted it back in May). Already replaced the original Medallions with Teleflex White Sportsman. Works and looks great. Worth checking out if you don't have an unlimited budget.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast