Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Poker Run

beyondhelpin
    Did any of you no coast guys make it to the Ugly Johns poker run on Grand this weekend? Had a blast but kinda left a bad taste when I seen the winning hands. Outa maybe 60 boats the winning hands was:
    First Place.....five of a kind (five 5s)
    Second Place.......straight flush
    Third Place.....four of a kind
    I am not a mathamatician but the odds of those three hands seems astronimical! Playing poker I dont know if I have ever seen 4 of a kind much less the other hands with no wild cards and no draws. WTF!!!!!!
    I did not expect to win but I also did not expect it to be rigged! BTW it was $250 a hand. So we are not looking at a small amount of cash!

Froggystyle
    Did any of you no coast guys make it to the Ugly Johns poker run on Grand this weekend? Had a blast but kinda left a bad taste when I seen the winning hands. Outa maybe 60 boats the winning hands was:
    First Place.....five of a kind (five 5s)
    Second Place.......straight flush
    Third Place.....four of a kind
    I am not a mathamatician but the odds of those three hands seems astronimical! Playing poker I dont know if I have ever seen 4 of a kind much less the other hands with no wild cards and no draws. WTF!!!!!!
    I did not expect to win but I also did not expect it to be rigged! BTW it was $250 a hand. So we are not looking at a small amount of cash!
    It would be astronomical if they were using one deck. Odds are far higher that something like this will happen when you play with multiple decks.
    I wouldn't suspect a conspiracy...

572Daytona
    Assuming you only got 5 cards (5 card stud) the probability of those hands are according to this web site: http://www.5-card-stud-poker.co.uk/hand-odds.asp
    Straight Flush - .000014
    4 of a kind - .00024
    Obviously you weren't playing with a standard 52 card deck so the odds would be slightly different, but I would suspect some people traded cards to make those hands

beyondhelpin
    It would be astronomical if they were using one deck. Odds are far higher that something like this will happen when you play with multiple decks.
    I wouldn't suspect a conspiracy...
    The odds are the same if you have 1 or 10 decks. For instance, your odds of pulling an ace of spades out of one deck are 1 in 52 if you have one deck because you have one ace of spades out of 52 cards. If you have ten decks there are 10 aces of spade out of 520 cards.....10 out of 520 chance or reduced down 1 out of 52.
    Remember there are no wild cards and no draws either. How many 4 of a kinds have you seen playing poker with no wild cards? Not many if any would be my guess. Remember you dont even get to make a draw in a poker run!

beyondhelpin
    Some of the odds I found on a web site are:
    straight flush..........1 in 72,193
    4 of a kind..............1 in 4165
    Those are the second and third place hands. MY calculation on 5 of a kind are :
    Five of a kind..........1 in 208,250
    Came up with this number by multiplying 52 time 4165 (odds of 4 of a kind)
    Now what are the chances of this being the top 3 hands out of maybe 80 hands. Sorry Froggy I smell bullshit!
    http://www.online-poker.ca/poker-odds.html
    Anyway it was fun nonetheless. I will try to post some pics later tonight when I get home from work!

Evo22
    no kidding i would say somthing ...who were the winners and whats there relationship to the promoter? :cry:

OLDRAT
    beyondhelpin,
    Didn't make it out, just watched the takeoff in the main lake from the deck.
    I also counted a lot of engine hatches open on big $$ boats on the comeback leg.
    I would say just chalk it up to "just another Duck Creek anomaly"

beyondhelpin
    I called and talked to them today. They agreed something was amiss. They gave me a rundown on the winners and as much info as he had. He doesnt think so but I think it was an inside job. He said a lot of people are prettyu upset about it. His phone has been ringing quite a bit. He said they will figure out some way to make it up to everyone.
    BTW The first place paid $10,000 second place was $5,000 dont remember what third was but it was still a good chunk of money!
    Let me see if I can figure how to load a few pics and I will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast